GE Profile dryer - No heat, how to remove back plate to check coil & fuse?

Old 07-27-12, 08:21 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Profile dryer - No heat, how to remove back plate to check coil & fuse?

Hi,

I have a GE Profile dryer - Several years old, that produces no heat. The drum rotates fine, so it's not a power issue. Reading around the internet, I infer that it is either a defective heating coil, or a bad thermal fuse. It appears that to check both of these, I must remove the back of the dryer. Some "how to's" I read make this seem very straight forward, remove the screws and slide off the back. I've removed a LOT of screws & still can't figure out how to remove back plate to check coil & fuse? It appears to me that the sides may have to come off first, but I can't figure this out. This should be simple but I'm pulling my hair out.

It appears their is a "flap" from the side panel that wraps over the rear panel, as visible on the left side in the photo below.

Any help GREATLY appreciated!!

Name:  GE Dryer rear 2.jpg
Views: 13795
Size:  25.0 KBName:  GE Dryer front 2.jpg
Views: 11614
Size:  16.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-12, 02:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
UNPLUG DRYER FIRST
Post model # can see better how to help. All Ge dryers I have worked on open from front. Open door and find 2 screws in top of opening, Remove screws and the top will pull front and off, You will see 2 screws holding front on.

Old 07-27-12, 02:53 PM
First thing I did in the project was to unplug it, but thanks.

Model # is DPSB620EC2WW

Someplace on the internet I read you had to take the BACK off first! Figures that was wrong!

Appreciate your help very much!

Old 07-27-12, 06:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I always add warning when talking about dryers. Don't want anyone killed.
Dryer comes apart the way I said. After front off mark the way wires come off (pain to get right sometimes) I know the hard way. You have to reach into dryer and loosen belt from idler and motor. Sometimes a real pain to re install, You have to take 2 screws from sides 1 on each sides pulls straight out .

Old 07-28-12, 07:54 AM
Sorry, I'm not clear, what is it I'm trying to pull out here? Is there a schematic diagram for this anywhere? Appreciate your patience. I'm a pretty handy person in general, but not so much on large appliances.

Thanks

Old 07-28-12, 11:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have to take the drum out to get to heater and thermostats. Heater and thermostats should have a complete circuit ( no opens). Here are some break downs of dryer
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...d=DPSB620EC2WW

Old 07-28-12, 02:32 PM
OK, the drum, I thought it may have to come out, got it. Let me have a go @ that.

Thanks!

Old 08-02-12, 10:56 AM
OK, drums out. (Not sure if I'll ever get this put back together again, LOL). The heating coil appears to have a good connection, the meter moves when I connect to end, so I'm assuming it's the thermal fuse. Not clear on where that is.

Old 08-02-12, 01:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mounted on heater housing is a thermostat, Should not be open, I think your heater has 2 ELEMENTS (MIGHT BE WRONG ) both should have circuit( if has 2 elements there will be 3 connections to heater if only 1 element there will be 2.) Each has to be checked. Usually if thermo fuse is bad it will not run.

Old 08-02-12, 01:44 PM
Name:  dyer heat element.jpg
Views: 12961
Size:  30.4 KBHere's a picture of the element. Are you saying that if the thermo fuse is bad the dryer wouldn't run at all? (Because it does, it just doesnt get hot)

Old 08-03-12, 04:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Looking at your picture you have a dual element heater, each coil should have a circuit. On left side of housing there is the thermostat. It should have a circuit, right side is thermo fuse also should have circuit.(no opens) If you can take a picture of wiring diagram I can see what else in circuit, Most likely heat circuit goes through motor switch and timer. Usual problems is heater or thermostat. On heater use your meter on both outside lugs and both inside lugs. Most dryers thermo fuse is in run circuit not heat.