Cabinet Height above washer/dryer?

Old 08-23-12, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cabinet Height above washer/dryer?

We are buying a new home and the cabinets that are above the space where the washer and dryer is is 4 feet. The washer and dryer we want are 52 inches. We can't fit a front load washeror dryer on a pedestal. The builder says that a normal washer fits and he has no problem opening the door. My question is how high should cabinets be off the ground when they are above the washer/dryer?

Old 08-23-12, 05:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 775 Votes on 716 Posts
Depends on the cabinet. Standard height for wall cabinets is usually 7ft. So a 30" tall wall cabinet would start at 54" from the floor.

Old 08-23-12, 06:03 PM
Interesting, the builder says he always puts them at 48"

Old 08-23-12, 08:07 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Moving cabinets in a laundry room is a pretty easy task, I would just do so myself.

Old 08-23-12, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 775 Votes on 716 Posts
Your builder must either be a nut, or he only works for short people.

Old 08-23-12, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Your builder must either be a nut, or he only works for short people.

I would tend to agree. But there is a standard that is followed. Above and beyond that you get into custom stuff at an additional cost. Its all about $$$ after the initial install IMO.

Builders need to see what the new appliance dimensions and IMO and start accomodating homeowners and not charge for custom fit.

Old 08-24-12, 10:42 AM
Yeah,the back and forth is stressing my wife out. They may have been custom cabinets for someone else but they are just too low. I want evidence that's normal height for cabinets is not just 48". Right now it is between his opinion and ours.

Old 08-24-12, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
If you do a search on the internet there is a lot of info.

Here is a pic I found with standard dimensions IMO. Regardless or the cabinet the standard height I thought was 54" Possibly the ceilings are low in the room and he put a larger size cabinet?

www.yeunginvestments.com

Old 08-24-12, 02:31 PM
I dont think he wants us to buy the home. He says he wont do anything with the cabinets now even though he verbally said he would move them up 6". So, he emailed my wife and said he wasnt doing anything else and we can have our check back Monday if we want it. If that is his attitude he probably won't fix any other things that need to be addressed. He may think the house will sell as is because its real nice especially for the price. My wife did ask him about where the HOA dues go and he kind of danced around that. I wonder if cabinets in the laundry room is going to be a deciding factor in getting a real nice home. Maybe Ill have to deal with the cabinets myself if we do buy. We have sold ours and the closing is on Sept 24th. Ugh

Old 08-24-12, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Very odd.....when I tore out the old crappy cabinets to install new in the laundry room after we moved here...I just eyeballed the height for easy access and to leave some room on the top for small appliances and such.

Just measured them.....54 3/4" from the floor. Maybe there's a reason the standard is 54"?

I can't imagine wall cabinets being only 48" up.

That said...moving them wouldn't be a big issue....but as you noted...if he won't do that to get the sale...how responsive will he be to REAL problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: