Outside of Maytag oven gets extremely hot

Old 09-07-12, 10:04 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outside of Maytag oven gets extremely hot

Hi,

I am hoping someone may be able to help me. We recently purchased a Maytag electric range (MER8674AS) and have only used it a couple times. The stovetop is functioning fine and the oven itself seems to be working fine. However, I am concerned that the outside of the oven is getting hotter than normal. After about an hour of operation last night (at 425 degrees), the front of the oven door, sides of the oven, and surrounding cabinets/granite got very hot. Our old oven did not do this, so I was a little surprised. I expect the door and sides to get warm, but these were so hot that we couldn't touch them for more than a second or two without feeling like we were going to get burned (similar or maybe even hotter than our steam radiators when in operation).

Other than the obvious safety factor, I am afraid that it may ruin the painted finish on my cabinets. I have searched some message boards and have heard of some other brands having similar problems, but haven't come across any reviews identifying this problem with Maytag or this particular model.

I called Maytag and the person I spoke to said that it seemed normal, but I find that hard to believe. It seems like it'd be a big liability problem for it to be normal for an oven to be this way. I was told to simply not touch any parts of the oven except the handle...great help/advice...

I'm worried that this could easily burn children or pets as well (especially during self cleaning when it will be much hotter).

Maytag said they could send someone out to take a look, but it will be $130 if they deem it is functioning normally. Even if this is considered normal, I will probably replace the range since we're just not comfortable with how this is functioning.

Any advice that people can offer is very much appreciated!

Old 09-07-12, 11:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 755 Votes on 694 Posts
I don't think you will get very far unless you have real numbers. Hot can mean different things to different people. If you can push Maytag to find the maximum acceptable outside temperature for their oven you can then see if yours is exceeding it.

Do you have or can you borrow an infra red thermometer? This would allow you to quickly and easily check the temperature of various surfaces on and near the oven.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: