Kenmore clothes washer 70 series, wont complete cycle

Old 09-16-12, 10:57 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore clothes washer 70 series, wont complete cycle

Hello,
This is my first time posting on this site , so thank you all in advance. We have a Kenmore model 110.82870100, 70 series I believe, starts and fills, goes thru about half the cycle and just quits running, it will aggitate, but it will not rinse or spin. Then we get an awful smell in the kind of a combination of burning rubber, and hot electrical..... Thanks again, any advice would be greatly apprecated

Old 09-16-12, 02:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad lid switch, Don't know what smell is as bad switch it just won't go into spin.
Most likely lid switch. On top under lid is a slot that is the switch. Put washer in spin and turn on put hand under switch and pull body of switch up. Use a pen or screwdriver and push down on lever thorough slot while holding switch. If spins now switch is bad.
On console there are 2 plastic caps on end. They pop off and than there are 2 screws/ remove screws and pull and lift console. it will hinge up and back. Unplug lid switch. 2 gold colored clips take them off. cabinet will come off and than you can replace switch.

Old 09-16-12, 04:07 PM
B
Thank you, but I dont think its a bad lid switch, I was just messing with it, and I can get it to go into spinn cycle, by sticking a screwdriver into the slot. I guess maybe I should explain a little more clearly. when there is water and clothes in it, it aggitates, then when it comes time to spin it just humms alittle bit , then you can hear like an overload switch click, then it does nothing. then a minute ar so later it tries to go into spin cycle again, humms and clicks off. I got it to do the spin clycle, when there was nothing in the tub. Sorry I am a real rookie at this stuff. Thank you!!!

Old 09-16-12, 05:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Possible a bad motor but have never seen one do what yours is. Take cabinet off unclip water pump ( leave hoses connected) take motor off and lay on floor leave wire connected , Jump lid switch (2 wires not colored green) put washer into spin and see if motor runs. If motor runs you might have something stuck under basket and will have to take it out to see.

Old 09-18-12, 05:48 PM
B
Thanks for the tip, I really thought it was the coupler.... but that was fine, unfourtanatly, I have to pull a toilet, and remove the dryer from the laundry room in order to have enough room to work on the washer... so I ordered a coupler, pulled everything out and crud!!!! it wasnt the coupler!!!!, I did what you told me too, and sure enough the motor spins , but it sounds like a cat howling with its tail under a rocker. I am ordering a new motor tonight, hopefully I will get it soon... my wife is mad cuz I am not going to reinstall the dryer, and toilet, for just a couple days. Thank you very much for your input, I really do appreciate it! I will let you know in a few days how it goes.

Old 09-22-12, 11:17 AM
B
Just wanted to say Thanks to pugsl, for the tips on fixing the washing machine. Got the new motor installed, and it seems to be working fine. Hopefully we will get a few more years out of the old beast

Old 09-23-12, 06:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thank you for letting us know we helped.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: