Kenmore Ice dispenser lever broken

Old 09-16-12, 05:37 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 45 Posts
Kenmore Ice dispenser lever broken

I have a Kenmore side by side model # 253-57198600 with an ice dispenser in the door. The lever or "actuator" is broken. I need to replace that. The # for that actuator is 1196654.

I just can't figure out how to get the front panel or trim work off of the outside of the door so I can access the actuator. I have searched here for threads already posted but didn't find anything that would help. I have also searched youtube & Googled for any tutorial help by written or video & haven't had any luck.

Anyone know how that panel/trim coves off &/or possibly a video somewhere that will show it?

Thanks in advance,
TC

Old 09-16-12, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
This diagram may be of help: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...R0604003/00007

Also there are a few videos here: RepairClinic.com - Refrigerator - Side by Side - Detailed Appliance Diagram that may be similar to your fridge. Kenmores are made by other manufactures (Whirlpool, Frigidaire, etc)

Old 09-16-12, 07:36 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Tolyn I have seen that diagram or at least one like it & the screws on the bottom of the panel are hidden by a strip of trim. I have tried to tug on that trim with the edges of my fingers & it doesn't seem to want to pop of to access those screws. I am quite sure its got to just pop off but, I don't know that, so I was just hoping someone here could give me a little guidance. For example, does it pry off? Do I need to pop it off from the corners or in the middle etc? OR, does it NOT just pop off? Does it come off via another trick?

Once you remove the little drip pan shown in the diagram, you can see the molded plastic indention's where the screws screw in from the front but I still can't access the screws from the front. I just don't want to break the trim, obviously, & we all know there is a trick to every trade. Again, just hoping someone would show up in here & read this thread that can give some hints & tricks

Thanks again for your help. Its much appreciated

Old 09-16-12, 07:37 PM
Group Moderator
Did you look at any of the videos in the link I posted? Are any of the fridges similar to yours?
Here is a video for a Whirlpool which I think makes most of Sears fridges: Refrigerator Repair- Replacing the Ice Dispenser Solenoid and Door Kit (Whirlpool Part #12001991) - YouTube (Its either Whirlpool or Frigidaire)

If you do not see any screws to remove, (although the diagram shows 2 or 3) try lifting up on the trim and then pulling. Watching two videos, they both dissembled that way.

Old 09-17-12, 05:24 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes I did. One of them had a similar face plate & I'm sure it just snaps off. I just hope I don't break it. I'll try it in a few days & see how it goes.

Old 09-17-12, 09:21 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
In case you need the info, your refrigerator is made by Frigidare (code 253).

Old 09-18-12, 05:02 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Thank you Joe, I appreciate that

Old 09-18-12, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
Good to know. Thanks Joe!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title: