Bert: Broan range hood one light doesn't work

Old 09-19-12, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bert: Broan range hood one light doesn't work

My Allure Broan range hood has two lights, but one does not work. I have replaced the bulb but it still will not light on that side. Do I need to replace the lighting harness for both lights?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-12, 01:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! If you remove the cover where the wiring is (with the power off, of course) you will probably find one of the black or white wires going to the light that is not working is loose or not held in the twist cap securely. Have you pulled off that cover, yet?

Old 09-19-12, 09:59 PM
No, I haven't taken off the cover, but I did look in there by removing the filters. I could not find a loose wire.

Old 09-20-12, 03:08 AM
You need to turn the power off and actually put your hands on the wiring to see if a wire has come loose. Just looking may not be sufficient. Remove the one hex headed or phillips screw that holds the cover on the side and drop it down. You will have a full view of the incoming and outgoing electrical at that point. Power off.....

Old 09-21-13, 11:19 AM
I had the same problem - one evening, just one light decided not to turn on.

1. I turned off power from the breaker box, tugged and push all the wires associated with the sockets, bulb still refused to turn on after the breaker was turned back on.
2. Turned off power again, and removed the sockets from the hood assembly. This step is easy, as they are held in by two metal clips. I screwed in the bulbs, turned on the power - AND IT WORKS! Turned off power again, reassemble, and it continues to work...

So - not sure which assembly or lose wire I "fixed" - which is the scary part.

Last edited by Arthur Yee; 09-21-13 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-21-13, 11:42 AM
Welcome to the forums! Sometimes the unexplained happens and all is well. You could have a magic touch too Thanks for letting us know you got yours fixed.

Old 08-02-15, 09:54 AM
The light bulb sockets are cheap trash. it's most likely a corroded (and completely unsalvagable socket connection. If that is the case, you can try your luck just replacing the one socket, but the sockets have sort-of-non-standard clips on them so it may be difficult to find just the socket. You can try sanding down the center socket connection and it may work fine again for a while.

Making sure the bulbs are screwed in nice and tight might prevent arcing and thus prevent the corrosion, I don't know.

Old 08-02-15, 10:07 AM
Welcome to the forums, djsleep! This is a 3 year old thread, so hopefully the poster got his problem solved.