Need Fridge Door gasket - but part discontinued - suggestions?

Old 10-15-12, 12:08 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Fridge Door gasket - but part discontinued - suggestions?

I have an old Amana side by side 25' fridge. In its day it was the stuff and it still works great.

Its Model SDI25GW / P7745506WW. The only issue with it is the fridge door gasket is falling apart at the bottom. This lets air out and makes the fridge run alot.

The part # is D7092602Q. However, it has been discontinued and apparently no replacement. Searching locally and on the net has not yielded a gasket yet.

Soo - I did find a place that sells "universal" cut-to-fit magnetic gaskets. Are these any good? Anyone tried making one out of weatherstripping or something?

In short, what are solutions to replacing or fixing fridge door gasket when replacement part isn't available?

I hate to put the old gal out to pasture over just a bum gasket.

Old 10-15-12, 06:51 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
I've never tried the universal door seal kits but I have pieced together seals. I find a seal with the same profile/cross section. Cut out the bad section and replace. It actually works pretty well and does not look bad if your work is neat.

One of the worst things I've seen for door seals is spills in the fridge that are not cleaned and allowed to leak into the seal area. It sticks the seal to the fridge so it gets torn apart when you open the door. This type of failure usually happens at the bottom of the door.

Old 10-15-12, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Soo - I did find a place that sells "universal" cut-to-fit magnetic gaskets. Are these any good? Anyone tried making one out of weatherstripping or something?
I've used the universal ones and they can be a nuisance. In your case you can try what Dane said or buy a small piece of the universal type for just the bottom. Regular weatherstripping would not likely hold up too well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: