GE microwave has no power; a fuse keeps getting blown

Old 10-20-12, 01:29 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE microwave has no power; a fuse keeps getting blown

Our GE microwave oven died (no power) a few days ago. We called a techician and he claimed that he needs to replace the smart board. I decided to check a few things myself first. The oven started working again when I replaced the fuse, but the the fuse was blown again a few days later. Now the technician conclusion does not make sense to me. Is it possible that the problem is indeed in the smart board? The second time the oven went dead after opening/closing the door (I am almost sure).

Old 10-21-12, 02:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,351 Votes on 1,249 Posts
I would doubt it's the smart ?? board. I love the catchy names. A microwave is not a do it yourself project. Testing involves working around HIGH voltage. I can help you diagnosis it. When the fuse blows is critical to an off the cuff answer. It's rare for just opening or closing the door to have the fuse blow unless it's a physical shorting of the wire.....like pinched in the catch. Normally the fuse will blow a few seconds after you set the unit to start heating. The board turns on a high voltage transformer. The high voltage is rectified and then sent thru a large capacitor on it's way to the magnetron tube. Anything in that chain can cause the problem with the diode being the most popular.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: