Kenmore 80 Series washing machine - no spin, no drain.

Old 10-22-12, 03:43 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore 80 Series washing machine - no spin, no drain.

Serial No.: 110-92380200

Symptoms - Machine was working fine. After rinse cycle, doesn't drain, doesn't spin. Humming sound under machine at motor.

• I replaced the coupler one week ago. Re-inspected, no cracks or wear (completely pulled apart did not just visually inspect).
  • No oil on sides or ground of machine
  • I took off the water pump, tested motor. Did not spin, still hummed. Pump spun easily on its own, no obstructions.
  • Dropped motor down, spun fine and adjusted to the cycles.
  • Reconnected - does not spin, makes humming sound.
  • Lid switch in proper working order (with the motor spinning once dropped from assembly lets me know its not the switch). Switch also makes the proper "clicks" is not loose and is snug against housing.

I thought I saw the answer in another post, but I couldn't find the post again Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 10-22-12, 04:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
1 OF 2 Things I can think of. 1st most likely is something under basket, Have to take basket out to check. While basket out try spin cycle again if still no spin than you have a bad gearcase. Just though of a third thing which I don't think you have.
Tilt washer back against wall and look under it. About 6 inches up around cabinet see if there is a streak of oil. If there you need a gearcase top seal, clutch and drive coupler.

Old 10-22-12, 04:51 PM
S
Thank you for responding. I will check the basket.

Previous I did read the threads and saw the issue about the oil... zero oil in the cabinet as stated, but thank you so much for responding. I saw how to take the basket out, just have to find it again.

Old 10-22-12, 06:43 PM
S
I can't get that dag nab tough nut off. It looks like there is some locking nut/washer on it which I can't find a way to get off. While I don't have the spanner wrench, nothing else I used could even begin to budge it.

While I will go to sears and get the spanner, I am really concerned about that possible locking washer etc.

Any thoughts on this?

Old 10-23-12, 02:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No locking washer what I think you are seeing is the top of the drive block, has 2 slots with tabs in it. Go to appliance parts repair store for spanner wrench. Have a heavy hammer to use on it. I have a 2 or 3 pound to use on it. After nut off basket should lift out but sometimes is stuck to drive block. Most times you can work it off after a while.

Old 10-23-12, 02:16 PM
S
Welp while I found a lot of old dirt, nothing was actually blocking it. I turned it to spin... same humming, shaft was not spinning. So I guess its a gearcase?

BTW I am looking for the gear case in the parts list, are you talking about the transmission?

Please know I appreciate all your help.

Old 10-23-12, 05:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Part # 9 is gearcase
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...od=11092380200
Google Whrilpool gearcase and you will find lots of sites that have them and also how to rebuild. One site has a video of rebuild.
I guess your washer is about 10 years old, if newer less than 5 years and it has a plastic timer in it I have seen the timer do that. Timer will make motor try to run in 2 speeds at once.

Old 10-23-12, 06:17 PM
S
Your help has been stellar, thank you so very much.

Old 10-30-12, 07:35 PM
S
Well Pugsl I am blown away. I got the gearcase today, installed it without a hitch. I get it all put together, but before I brought it into the house I wanted to test the spin cycle. I get nothing but a hum.

Any other ideas?

Old 10-31-12, 03:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
you have a different one, I have seen this on newer washers but not on your model. Newer one's have a plastic timer and that timer will do the same thing. If you lay motor on floor and try to run in spin cycle does it still hum? Speed switch could do this also. What I am guessing is motor is trying to run in 2 speeds at once. I don;t have wiring diagram so can't help with that.

Old 10-31-12, 10:38 AM
S
That is correct, when I put it on spin, it just hums. Speed switch is by itself or part of the wiring in the control console at the top?

Old 10-31-12, 02:08 PM
S
Just for accounting...

When I disconnect motor from gearbox (but still connected to the pump) no problem it works (aka it spins). Soon as I have it connected to the gearbox, it just hums.

Old 10-31-12, 03:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
can you turn the gearbox by hand. should be able to go both ways. One way will turn basket and other way agitator. Take motor off and turn drive coupler.

Old 10-31-12, 04:20 PM
S
Yes sure can without issue. Actually tested that before I installed it.

Old 11-01-12, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just found this site it might help you
Gearcase on a Whirlpool direct drive washer - YouTube

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: