Kenmore 110.24962300 washer only HUMS the clicks off!

Old 10-24-12, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore 110.24962300 washer only HUMS the clicks off!

My Kenmore #110.24962300 washer stops the cycles and just hums, I have checked for articles of clothing, not...power on gets to spin and stops hums loud then clicks off. Is it my capacitor, and how do I know, is it the motor and how do I test it or are the brakes jammed or a problem with the clutch, and/or last how do I check the timer, all of the above from visual inspection seem to be working. Also the coupler is in tact, the gearcase spins freely, but if I put a drill on it nothing is actually moving in the washer tub in forward but in reverse it agitates, please help!?!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-12, 04:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Moved post to it's own thread. You could have a bad timer. use a thin putty knife and slide it under the corner of console , there is a spring clip that has to slide back to release top. You slide clip back and lift console at same time. real easy after you have done it a few times. Think you have a plastic timer have had a lot of problems with it. If you take motor off and lay it on floor with wires connected the motor will hum but run slow on floor. Usually timer could still be speed switch.

Old 10-24-12, 06:17 PM
How do I check the timer to know if it is the culprit?

Old 10-25-12, 02:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hard to do without wiring diagram. There is a diagram under console but very hard to read without lot of training. I have assistance I can call for help. I know not much help but your problem is hard to find out which part it is.

Old 10-26-12, 10:50 AM
Still struggling with this, for one thing, it seems the capacitor is not holding a charge after I unplug the washer and when I leave the motor connected and lay it on the floor it will not spin at all just hum, louder hum if I try to start the spin cycle. Does the capacitor play a huge role in kicking over the motor, or should it at least spin when connected without the capacitor? PLEASE HELP!! Anyone.

Old 10-26-12, 11:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 341 Votes on 319 Posts
To the motor...that capacitor is like a switch. When you supply power to motor there are two windings...a start winding and a run winding. The capacitor is basically a dead short to the start winding for a split second to get the motor spinning. After the capacitor charges it's like it's not even in the circuit. If the motor wont spin just sitting on floor then it's a good chance the cap is open or leaky. Some are easy to change. The value is on the side of it.

FYI....there are two types of motor starting. Capacitor start or centrifugal start. Cent. start is a switch that's inside the motor and has a spinning weight system attached to it so that at start it's closed and when motor starts to spin it opens.

Appliances can use either although I think the cent. type is more popular.

The motor can be tested without its starting device just by manually closing the circuit. I do it but it can be dangerous.

The motors actually have three windings....a start winding, high speed and lo speed winding. If the timer was supplying power to both speed windings could be the issue too.

Old 10-26-12, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
I'm out on the road now but will get back here early this evening

Old 10-26-12, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
I can not find a wiring diagram for this unit. Can you tell us how many wires are on the motor and what colors they are ? I 'll try to match it to similar machines.

Old 10-27-12, 07:05 AM
There is the white wire connected to the circuit breaker (separate) then on the block it goes from left to right Black,empty,Black/White stripe, Blue, Violet/White stripe, empty,Yellow, empty, Orange/White stripe, empty. If there is a way that I can isolate that this motor is NOT doing what it is supposed to, that would let me be certain that I need to replace this motor and not something else. By the way, the capacitor appears to be working properly when tested by the multimeter.

Old 10-27-12, 02:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Almost never the motor in 10 years have only replaced 2 motors in your type washer.

Old 10-29-12, 02:58 PM
No more help???? Can anyone tell me how to verify that this motor is shot, connected to the washer sitting on the floor she does not spin at all, hums then shuts off (circuit in motor trips)
If I know what wires to connect just to get it to spin (at all) I can pretty much be certain it's the problem.

Old 10-31-12, 10:22 AM
OK, how about this...If I remove the motor, but leave the electrical connector connected, lie the motor on the floor and connect the power, set the control knob to "spin" and pull the timer button to turn it "on" should the motor spin. At this time, the motor still does nothing except HUM loudly. As a matter of fact in all modes wash, rinse, spin the motor only hums just louder on the spin mode. Is there anything keeping a good motor from spinning in this scenario??

Old 10-31-12, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Like I said my first post if you have a plastic timer I have seen this several times. But could be speed switch. Usually the timer . Did you open console to see if wiring diagram there and is the timer plastic or medal.

Old 10-31-12, 03:49 PM
The timer is plastic and I do have the wiring diagram, but what am I looking for on the wiring diagram, the motor is getting power in all cycles just hums louder in the spin cycle. If the timer was bad how do I check it?

Old 11-01-12, 02:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I remember right you get a feed back if you just try to read voltages. I think you have to disconnect one of the power leads to motor to try. I usually have timer on truck and just plug in new to try. I know bad answer but a hard one to check.

Old 11-01-12, 01:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Been thinking of how to check you need to see which wires are feed wires (white is the neutral and one lead of meter should go there) unplug wires from motor and should only be getting voltage on which ever setting you have it on.

Old 11-01-12, 01:10 PM
Took a chance, replaced motor....fixed!!! Thanks for your input.

Old 11-02-12, 03:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Very unusual I have only replaced about 2 motors in 10 years.