Leak from the bottom of GE Washer when starting 'Drain Cycle'

Old 10-25-12, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leak from the bottom of GE Washer when starting 'Drain Cycle'

Hi:
Yesterday, I noticed a water leak from the bottom of GE washer which I purchased this summer from local Home Depot. When I washed the Laundry three days ago, however it was nothing wrong, no leak at all. I placed an old bath-towel to catch the water, but it makes me worry whether it's some mechanical defect.

What form of defect to cause this, a water-leak when starting 'drain cycle' to drain the Laundry?

Thanks for any help on this in advance.

Old 10-26-12, 04:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
You did not give model # guessing it's a top loader, Use a putty knife between top and front panel about 2 inches from each side. Slide putty knife in at clip (may have to tap it in) it will release clip and front will pull off. You than can watch to see if there is a leak.

Old 10-26-12, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, it's top-loader. I have always been on GE washers without any problems to recall and each lasted more than ten years since I moved into this house late 80's.

It's easy to use and good machine, .... but this time around, for some reason, it's leak.

Seems to me that it's needed some mechanical skill which none of us has.

Do you think I should call GE service tech because I purchased it just three months ago with 2 years' extended warranty?

Old 10-26-12, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,335 Votes on 1,234 Posts
If you purchased the extended wattanty then by all means call them in. If they get there and can not find any leak at least the problem is documented.

Old 10-26-12, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
As long as the leak isn't from a supply hose that you installed....call for service. If it was installed by them...then no matter even if the leak is a supply hose...call.

Old 10-26-12, 02:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Word of caution All manufactures are charging for service calls if nothing is found wrong with washer or any appliance. I run into this all the time. We have to warn customers that they will be charged if nothing wrong with machine. Charges can be over 100 dollars.

Old 10-26-12, 10:44 PM
Thanks for all the responses and concerns.

Word of caution All manufactures are charging for service calls if nothing is found wrong with washer or any appliance. I run into this all the time. We have to warn customers that they will be charged if nothing wrong with machine. Charges can be over 100 dollars.
In regard to service charge in case nothing wrong, ....

This evening, I washed a medium-sized regular laundry, and strange enough I noticed only tiny bit of leak around the bottom of the washer. Just in case, I washed again, it's still not visible leak although an old bath-towel at its bottom was a bit wet.

In my recollection, a leak started after two loads of laundry, one for a bunch of loose clothes and another for few mops with heavy-duty(cleaning bare and rough basement-floor) that had something to do with the leak?

Just wonder why the leak started to subside?

Old 10-27-12, 02:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would open front and watch for leak. With front off you can see all the parts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: