Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Large Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

Estate refrigerator blowing hot air, have done some replacing/troubleshooting

Old 11-07-12, 05:07 AM

I have an estate refrigerator,Its about 7 years old, recently starting blowing hot air. I noticed the start dev or relay clicking like crazy so i replaced that with a new one, it doesnt click as much now but still blows warm air. I metered the run capacitor AC volts its reading around 1.72v (not fully discharged) and when I do an ohm check it will read a reading than go to ol on the screen, when reversed it does the same thing each time so the run capacitor seems to be ok. The compressor on the fridge was extremely hot. Is the compressor bad? The fan is still blowing in the back but no air is cold. Any help would be appreciated I feel I already wasted $50 on the start dev relay I dont want to waste any more money, thank you all.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-12, 06:52 AM
Group Moderator
Unless you actually test the capacitance of the capacitor you really can not tell if it's good or not. Simply seeing it taking current and then stop only tells you that it's not totally dead. It could be far enough out of spec that it can't start the motor. Most often though I've seen caps be totally bad so being out of spec is somewhat rare. If you can get a known good capacitor cheap I'd try it but I'm betting that the compressor is bad.

Old 11-07-12, 08:57 AM
I tested the 3 terminals where the start relay plugs int the compressor,from what ive read if any of the terminals read any type of resistance via ohms the compressor is bad, i tested all 3 and it was 0 ohms for each off each prong. Any other tests i could do to see if the compressor is bad

Old 11-07-12, 09:10 AM
Group Moderator
Electrically the compressor still could be good but because it's a mechanical pump it's possible the compressor is froze or bearings have seized. It being really hot and not running makes me think that it's locked-up. I imagine if if stays powered on long enough it will burn out the motor.

Old 11-07-12, 12:51 PM
I think the relay was bad b/c the new one isnt clicking as much and the compressor was hotter than before, it does like a hum noise than clicks than 20-30 seconds later clicks again and continues, i think you may be right, i had the new relay on over night and still no cold air at all

Old 11-08-12, 01:13 AM
Group Moderator
I do an ohm check it will read a reading than go to ol on the screen, when reversed it does the same thing each time so the run capacitor seems to be ok
That is exactly what you should see. The cap is technically a short at turn on and then goes to open. It may still not be completing the start circuit completely and the motor is siting there stalled on the run only winding. You replaced a relay with a new one ? Start dev relay ?
You should see resistance between all three compressor terminals. You should not see any resistance to ground from any of those terminals.
At first, it sounded to me like you didn't have enough/any freon in the unit. But I'm inclined to agree with Dane that the compressor is frozen. It sounds like the compressor is going out on overheat. It has a thermal device in it that will open when unit gets too hot and then re-close when it cools off.
The only true way to diagnose and further is to put an ampmeter on the compressor wiring.