Extending Dryer Vent

Old 11-08-12, 06:59 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Extending Dryer Vent

Hello, all. I look forward to becoming a member of this community!

Just purchased a new house, and I thought this 8ft dryer vent would be long enough to reach the exit, but it's not. I'm about 2 feet short.

The vent: Amazon.com: Whirlpool 4396727RP 8-Feet Dryer Vent with Clamps: Home Improvement

What would you recommend? Should I buy another vent and tape them together with foil tape? Or, should I try some sort of elbow?

A huge thank you to the community!

Attached Images   
Old 11-08-12, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
Pardon me.....but what the heck is that vent line doing ten feet off the ground. I can't believe that was there when the house was built. Somehow I don't think an inspector would have passed that.
Anyway...If it was me and I had to use that vent pipe I would get 4" metal ducting. Not the flex type.....actual metal ducting. Do you know where that goes and how much longer it is ? A dryer does not have unlimited strength to move air and clogging can become an issue.

Old 11-09-12, 04:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree with PJ. Use smooth bore metal pipe and tape the joints with metal tape, starting with an elbow at the bottom. Definitely find out how much further this pipe goes. I'm not sure if there is a such thing as a booster fan for these things or not, but you are on the edge of needing something.

Old 11-09-12, 06:10 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If there is an outside wall near the dryer I wouldn't even try to use it.

Old 11-09-12, 06:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I'll bet we are going to find this is a poured monolith basement wall, yuk. Our laundry is in the basement, but only 8', and an immediate dump to the outer wall. Have to periodically clean the bottom elbow of gravity fed crud and dust bunnies.

Old 11-09-12, 06:14 AM
J
The vent elbows, I think, at the ceiling and goes straight outside. I'm guessing roughly 2ft from that top elbow.

This is on the ground floor, by the way. No idea why builder had it this way, but I'd like to have the best (and most cost efficient) solution possible.

Old 11-09-12, 08:23 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Where does this exit the house? I moved my vent from what the builder installed, which was something akin to what you have. Now the rise and run are shorter and I can reach the exit on the outside of the house standing on the ground to clear the clog which builds up there every few months.

Old 11-09-12, 08:35 AM
J
Outside, it's about 10-11 ft off the ground.

It seems like a decent ordeal to change the vent location, doesn't it?

Old 11-09-12, 08:42 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
I figured it was less work than I would have dealing with that convoluted path and trying to clean out the vent 10' above the ground. Took me an afternoon.

Old 11-09-12, 08:48 AM
J
I might be over my head with that, not sure. The external wall is brick, and I doubt I have the equipment to make that work.

Old 11-09-12, 10:51 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
A rented core drill would do the brick easily. Even a three eighths inch plug-in drill with a quarter inch masonry bit and a cold chisel would do it. An angel grinder or circular saw would help. Remember if it is a modern house the brick is only a facade one layer thick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: