Oven heating element not glowing entirely

Old 11-17-12, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oven heating element not glowing entirely

Maytag Gemini -- this is a double oven -- model # is MER6765BAB. The bottom oven lower heating (baking) element went out. It melted or burnt and the element broke.

I replaced the element and turned it on. The element glowed red or orange only about 3\4 the distance around the element.

So, I go get another. This time the element glowed red or orange only about 3/4 the distance around the element, but, this time it was on the other side of the element.

Each time the area not glowing was from the connectors until the first curve in the element.

Actually replaced the element a third time and got the same result as the 2nd above replacement.

I am assuming there is a problem somewhere else and need some guidance as to the next steps.

At the moment I am thinking the controller from reading, but there are other possibilities. Of course, hoping for the cheaper fix.

I am pretty good mechanical wise and comfortable with most electrical. I have an electrical meter but not experienced with the settings,etc.

Anyone got suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-12, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 328 Votes on 307 Posts
My thought is bad batch of heating elements. You apply power at the ends and the entire element should glow evenly..... period. Also, the element should never be hand bent.

Old 11-17-12, 11:54 AM
I tend to agree and they were purchased at an appliance parts store. The first 2 were generic I think, but the 3rd was from Whirlpool and cost more.
I asked for money back after second one but he didn't want to refund. All items were handled gently and place on a towel in the vehicle when i got them. Store is about 8 miles away, so i purchased items then quickly returned when didn't work. So, i am not damaging them.

However after 3 replacements, I figure it has to be something else.

Old 11-17-12, 11:26 PM
Group Moderator
I've changed many elements and have never had that happen before. I doubt it's the controller as the controllers job is to turn the element on or off. Sounds like that is occuring. I guess it could be slightly low voltage. Oven elements are supposed to be 240 volts. To use your meter to check the voltage you'll need to look at the settings for the AC section. You'll want to set the meter to the next scale over 240 volts. It could be 250v or 300v or 500v. Every meter is different. If digital then you will get a direct reading.....if analog then you'll have to look at the paper scale to see which set of markings pertains to the voltage scale you're using. Black probe gets plugged into Common on meter or - and the red goes to volts/ohms point.

Be careful checking element....it'll get hot quick. I'd have the meter leads clipped on and then turn the oven on to read voltage.

Old 11-19-12, 03:26 PM
pics of element not glowing entirely

Here is the pic of the element not glowing. Also another pic of upper small oven element glowing entire way around.
Everything else about it seems to be ok. I checked the terminals of the element from back side of oven with back cover off. They were easy to get to there. I got 21.5 ohms on the element with oven off. Turned oven on and got 246 volts at the terminals.
It also heated up to temperature fine. Wife was worried about uneven cooking for thanksgiving etc. but I am thinking it will be ok.
Unless someone sees something out of the ordinary, I am gonna just go with it for now.
Sorry bout the dirty oven pics.--lol

Attached Images   
Old 11-19-12, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Very strange and voltage is fine. Did you happen to catch the brand of element ? Like chromalox, etc.