Frigidaire is frigid-less!

Old 03-27-14, 07:34 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire is frigid-less!

Hi. My mom has a Frigidaire side by side (model FRS23R4CW0) that isn't freezing. The fridge side gets cool and keeps her food well but the freezer side never gets below 38 degrees and all of her food melts. It makes a nice side by side fridge though! We cleaned the coils and the compressor is warm to the touch. I am going to try taking the panel off and see if the condenser is freezing but I'm pretty sure it isn't since it never gets below 38. Does anyone have any ideas or things to try? I could really use some help with this one. She's on a fixed income and can't afford to have a repair guy come out. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Old 03-27-14, 08:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Checking for icing of the evaporator is a good step.
If not iced over....see if the frost is even over the coil.

Make sure the evaporator fan up top is running.

You cleaned the coils under the fridge. Is the condensor fan running down there ?
Does it appear that the compressor runs all the time ?

There are several thermostats in this unit but if the compressor runs all the time that would most likely not be a problem.

Old 03-27-14, 09:24 PM
G
My brother was over there tonight and he said he could feel the compressor running and it was warm to the touch. I need to check that fan and see if it's running. Thanks for the ideas. I hope to get by there this weekend and check on the frost (or lack thereof) on the condenser.

Old 04-01-14, 08:39 PM
G
Well the condenser is so frozen that even the plastic panel that covers it was icy on the back. I'm not sure what that means. Could it be a fan not turning the air or maybe a temperature switch?

Old 04-01-14, 09:08 PM
Group Moderator
The coil will not allow any air to pass. Even the fan in there could be covered in ice.

What I normally do is to unplug and unthaw the fridge. Then I fire it back up and keep an eye on the coil. When I repower it I'll check and make sure the fan in the freezer is running.

Ultimately you may have a defrost problem that would require the use of a volt ohmmeter to check the defrost circuit.

Old 04-02-14, 08:15 PM
G
She said she defrosted it three times in the last few months and it keeps icing up. I may try to locate the fan and see if it's spinning. What would you test with the ohm meter? I have one so I'm willing to test. Thanks again for the ideas.

Old 04-02-14, 10:58 PM
Group Moderator
Some videos to show you what and where to check. You want to make sure the heater and thermostat have continuity.

Defrost heater.... Frigidaire 5303918255 Defrost Heater Kit - Appliance Parts Pros
Actual heater testing... Refrigerator Defrost Heater Test - YouTube

Defrost thermostat.... Frigidaire 5303918214 Defrost Thermostat - Appliance Parts Pros
Actual thermostat testing... Refrigerator Defrost Thermostat Test - YouTube

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: