"High Efficiency" Washers Are a JOKE

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-12, 04:55 PM
"High Efficiency" Washers Are a JOKE

I am so disgusted I could spit.

We bought a Kenmore (model 26002010) top-load washer about a year ago and have been suspicious of the whole "high efficiency" concept and supernaturally disappointed with the results of this machine.

The propaganda literature talks about "superior cleaning technology" while saving water.

Our clothes don't get clean. Period. The clothes sit in a damp pile during the cycle-- if we pause the cycle and open the lid you barely even see water-- then the agitator sounds more like it's trying to nudge a sleeping person awake than actually agitating clothes to clean them.

Most times, the clothes we fold to put back away have clumps of HE detergent in them; not surprising if you sprinkle detergent on a damp pile of clothes and then you don't put enough water on it to rinse that soap out.

A perfect example of what we're (not) getting from this "superior cleaning technology": I put a pair of jeans in that had just some topical soil on the leg; by "soil" I mean like you spilled a little potting soil as you were planting a flower in a pot. I brushed off the main stuff with my hand, but it left just a touch of residue, of course. Nothing "ground in", at all, just a little quickie spill. I got those jeans out of the dryer and they looked the same as when I put them in the washer.

Anyway, for now I'm doing what I can to make it a LOW efficiency washer. I pause the cycle after "sensing"... oh, so accurate is that sensing, too! What technology!... and I manually add about ten more gallons. I do this because after the machine has "sensed", it doesn't know additional water's been added and it will continue semi-normally (i.e., like the old days of perfectly-sensibly-designed wash technology).

I don't know if I'm even asking a question here, but at least I feel a little better venting and it keeps me from tossing this $700 POC down the hillside.

If you've read this far I would love to hear if other people are experiencing what I'm experiencing. Everything "works" fine on this machine-- I just think this "low water" concept is just a ridiculous nonsensical notion.

--Kelly Griffin

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-12, 05:00 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
Wait until you start getting the sudsing issues with the machine

Old 11-18-12, 05:27 PM
I refuse to get one of these because of the stories I hear. I do have about the same issues with a new dish washer. Little water. Low power weak motor/pump doesn't blast the easiest crud off the dishes. But it IS quiet...because it doesn't have enough power to make any real noise.

Old 11-18-12, 05:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes Received: 2
Hi Kelly, sorry you are having such a problem. We have a Maytag top loader with the HE and short little agitator. I was skeptical as well concerning it's ability to clean, but have had no issues with it at all. You must allow the top of the agitator to remain exposed and stack clothes around it. That's the only caveat I saw on the instructions. Don't overload it, and use the proper amount of liquid HE detergent.
Since it is only a year old, if the warranty is still in effect, have their service people come and check it out. There must be a good reason it is not working efficiently as you expect.

Old 11-18-12, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 3
Use only liquid HE detergent. Powder is no good. Best is the oxy type added to it. Like All.

This is what I use and it gets the clothes bright and clean. Its amazing IMO. The cheap detergents just do not work.

allŪ Laundry Detergent - Oxi Active

Yes I do laundry!!!! If not the Admiral would have me out sleeping with the chickens.

Old 11-18-12, 06:43 PM
I just don't see how it's possible to clean with this technology, liquid detergent or not; a quivering, barely-damp pile of clothes is just that.

To me, it's like taking a car through a car wash and just spraying it with water-- all you're doing is dampening the dirt, and that's what this thing does.

I just now washed our bedspread... IMPOSSIBLE, by the way, to not cover the agitator, as someone mentioned... paused it on the "wash" cycle and added another 8 gallons of water to it to get it wet.

Ridiculous.

--KG

Old 11-18-12, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
These washers clean by forcing the water through the clothes with forceful spin. I think they work well.

Try what I recommend in detergent and post back. I bet you will be very happy.

If not I will eat my hat....

Old 11-19-12, 03:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
Thank You EPA I hear these complaints all the time and nothing I can do about them. Liquid HE soap in small amounts seem to work best. Do not overload, Washer warranties will not cover a tech coming out to tell you that it is normal and will charge you for the service call

Old 11-19-12, 03:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes Received: 2
It appears you are defeating the automation built in to the washer....adding 8 gallons of water to a washer that doesn't need that much water to do the job???? Ours uses very little water, and we do use the All that Mike suggested, and we get great results. It is possible to place your clothes around the perimeter of the tub without covering the center hub of the agitator. All the instructions tell is to leave that for spinning purposes. Somehow it allows the clothes to equalize around the tub.
But Mike, you have such a nice chicken house.........livable to say the least

Old 11-19-12, 03:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 9
Put the liquid detergent in first, then add clothes. I also don't like the sensing water fill, I leave mine on super capacity all the time. I also have it do a 2nd rinse on each load. While I miss my old top loader high capacity, we make do with what we have.

Old 11-19-12, 04:08 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 16
Too late for this decision, of course, but we tossed our old, old traditional top-loader last year for a front load HE LG washer. Couldn't be happier, does a super job even on large loads and my work clothes.

Old 11-19-12, 04:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 72
We also bought a new 'high efficiency' washer about a year ago. My wife always uses liquid detergent. IMO the energy saving features are a bunch of bull. It uses less water because it doesn't fill as high. Works fine if you wash a smaller load, if you fill it with clothes like the washer it replaced [same size] it won't clean work clothes well and makes a lot of noise. It uses less electricity because it will wash awhile, rest awhile, wash awhile, etc. You can't leave the lid open without turning it off because the timer still moves.

I almost wish I had spent the $250 to fix our 15 yr old washer

Old 11-19-12, 05:13 AM

Question for the OP......what is the water hardness situation?

Old 11-19-12, 05:17 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Too late for this decision, of course, but we tossed our old, old traditional top-loader last year for a front load HE LG washer. Couldn't be happier, does a super job even on large loads and my work clothes.
We went with a top load LG instead of the front load. Was warned that the front load with hard water will go through gaskets. The top load also had the largest capacity we could find. Can do every piece of clothing I own in one load and still have room.

To the OP;
As others have mentioned, if you can add the soap first, do this. Let a little water run into the drum then add the cloths. Our newer unit locks the top, so this is not possible with ours.

Old 11-19-12, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 28
I have an LG top loader HE and I love it! Clothes have never come out cleaner IMO.
I also use the All with the Oxy, but I also use Tide and then I add some Biz Liquid to it. When I have a noticeable stain, I do pre-treat with Shout or Zout. Maybe try pre-treating.

Mine doesn't have an agitator, it has a pull out tray for detergent and it has a Comforter setting, so it actually adds a lot of water when needed. I do like that feature.

I guess maybe not all HE machines are equal.

Old 01-13-13, 03:25 PM
New SAMSUNG WA422 TL HE a huge disappointment

I agree that these HE machines are a joke.

Just bought a Samsung WA422 Top Load HE, after having the matching dryer for a few month. LOVE the dryer. But the washer doesn't work.

It does an ok job of freshening up lightly soiled clothes, but for anything that has real dirt, stains, sweat/body-oils, or underarm stains from deodorant residue, the clothes just come out the same as when they went in , and underarm areas still come out stinky.

I've calibrated the machine, bought the more expensive liquid HE detergent and softener, and now I'm only putting in 6-8 items per load....what a crock....what's the point of a huge capacity drum if you can't make use of all that space? The salesman clearly lied about being able to do less loads per week. I'm now spending more than twice as much time each week working on laundry. I now have to visually inspect each piece, pre-treat and scrub underarm and neck areas of each shirt, and do the same to each heavily stained/soiled spot. I also need to put the machine on Heavy Duty cycle, and select extra rinse. This not only uses MORE water and energy, but takes almost 1.5 hours to complete a wash cycle. Only to have the majority of the clothes still not truly clean and fresh.

Sure it spins like a rocket engine, but what good is that if that super-fast spin causes your clothes to be so wrinkled that you have to laboriously iron? Even when washing our delicates (ahem...on the delicate hand wash cycle) and selecting low spin, the spinning was so fast on the WASH cycle that the bras and nylons got all entangled and twisted out of shape!

Basically, there's simply not enough water to be able to dissolve and remove the dirt, and the damp heap of clothes sitting at the bottom of the machine doesn't move around because they're not suspended in water therefore cannot move...they just jiggle together as one pile.

This "high efficiency" is a consumer scam! Just like those new light bulbs (the ones that look like soft-serve ice cream cones) that were supposed to save us tons in energy costs....the bulbs themselves cost 10-20 X as much as traditional light bulbs, but they don't last nearly as long.....it's all a scam.
Another few days of this BS, and this machine will be going back to the store.

Old 01-13-13, 11:07 PM
We've had a top loading HE washer for about a year and it cleans great. I don't worry about over loading it. I do use a liquid HE soap and I also use the soap dispenser rather than dumping the soap into the tub like I did with older machines.

You also need to respect the recommended quantity of soap. These machines don't use enough water to take a giant cap full of soap and wash away the excess.

Old 04-04-14, 08:14 AM
I wish I had read these comments before purchasing my HE Washer 2 yrs. ago. I agree with Kelly. I have complained about this washer from the first week I had it. The repairman has been here three times to check it out, and he assures me there is nothing wrong with the washer. He did however recommend that I use less than the recommended amount of soap. If you want to find out how much soap is being left in your clothing, try the washcloth test. After the machine has completed a normal wash cycle, take a washcloth and rinse it in a sink of water. You may be surprised how much sudsing is created from one wash cloth. A coworker told me she had bought one a couple weeks ago. I told her she probably wouldn't like it, and proceeded to tell her why. She told me yesterday, she had called SEARS and negotiated a return. She swapped it for a machine with a regular agitator. I suspect this breakthrough in technology will fade away eventually if enough people quit purchasing them. I bought it because I didn't know better. I will be more informed in the future. It's frustrating when I think that the salesman talked me out of a front loader, stating there were a lot of problems with them. This is one time, I am hoping the "thing" does not last for twenty years! There are conventional washers out there, you just have to look a little harder.

Old 04-04-14, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Old thread... I will close it..

please start new...

Thanks...

Closed Thread