Dryer Making Ratting Sound and Burning Smell

Old 11-20-12, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer Making Ratting Sound and Burning Smell

My 2 year old dryer (LG DLE1310W) was taking a long time to dry, so I bought a cleaning kit. I pulled the dryer out and removed all the excess lint, which was quite a bit. I vacuumed into the exhaust tube as well as the interior of the dryer. When I put the exhaust tube back on and moved the dryer back, I turned it on to test. That's when the rattling sound started. I checked all rubber floor mats and made sure the dryer wasn't vibrating or off balanced. I looked inside the dryer from the exhaust exit and everything looked OK. I only ran the dryer for 30-60 seconds, and also noticed a slight burning smell.

It really seems bizarre that I could have caused any significant damage seeing as all I did was move the unit out and clean out the excess lint. Of course the unit is out of warranty, so I'd love to be able to figure this out without sending someone out here to look.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd definitely appreciate any guidance.

Laxie

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-12, 09:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
The burning smell could be from the disturbed lint that wasn't vacuumed out. Did you actually see the fan ? Maybe something fell into it. I've left you a link to the inside of your dryer below.

When you click on link below a pictorial view of the inside of your dryer will appear. Under the pic you'll see view full size. Click on that and a new pic will appear. Click on the new pic and it will be full screen. Look at fan - part K510. When cleaning maybe something fell inside it.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...&prst=&shdMod=

Old 11-21-12, 03:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
PJmax said what I would of. Did you clean vent tube all the way to outside, Most dryer problems start there.

Old 11-21-12, 05:08 AM
Thank you both. I removed the exhaust hose and vacuumed up as far as I could go, about 3-4 feet. I then vacuumed inside the dryer from the exhaust exit about 2-3 feet. I used an attachment from the kit that looked like this. The circular shaped attachment, and my best guess is I forced it into the back too hard? Possibly jamming lint into the fan like you mentioned? Not sure that would explain the rattling noise.

Worth noting that the dryer spins fine and there seems to be plenty of heat inside. Of course I've only run it for 30 seconds or so to really test.

I will try to see if I can get to the fan, but if I recall when looking from the exhaust exit in the back, I couldn't see the fan. There might have been a bend in the pipe going inside.

Laxie

Old 12-01-12, 10:43 AM
PJmax,

You were dead on. I took apart the dryer and removed the front cover, there was a large clump of lint caught right in the fan. Thanks so much, saved me a service call and I learned how to take a dryer apart!

Laxie

Old 12-01-12, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
Thanks for the good news

P.S. I believe I hear a dryer here calling for a cleaning too