replace oven control on vintage tappan

Old 11-26-12, 07:06 PM
replace oven control on vintage tappan

can an oven control switch be replaced by a different brand. my stove is too old to get a replacement and i dont even care if the switch has to be located in a box on top of the stove instead of inside the panel. dont care how it looks just want it to function!. tappan 400 double oven circa 1964.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-12, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
Cool oven

There are companies that sometimes offer rebuild services for hard to find parts. We will definitely check for you but we need to know......inquiring minds want to know......gas or electric ? Any model number listed....sometimes inside one of the oven doors.

That aside.....if your oven is gas you can't do much modifying. Gas supply parts just are not modified for safety reasons. Gas or electric- the oven control not only turns the oven on and off, it tracks the heat of the oven to tell it when to heat. That tracking or temperature sensing is a connection from inside the oven to the oven thermostat. So that's another issue to keep in mind.

Old 11-27-12, 08:37 AM
no model number

the door has "visualite" imprinted on it but no number inside. i realize that the control is connected to the thermostat, but what i was wondering is what makes a control specific for that oven. since they all have the same function would they not be interchangeable?
thanx for your help

Old 11-27-12, 08:41 AM
sorry

i forgot to say its electric