Whirlpool washer kicking back dirt

Old 11-30-12, 05:27 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Whirlpool washer kicking back dirt

My wive has a whirlpool calypso series washer Model GVW9959KQ3 bought new in 2006 It has always washed ok, but also has always leaked out a plastic hose on the pump out part of the cycle. The issue now is that dirt is kicking back out onto the clothes after the rinse cycle. She she says the dirt is coming back through the holes in the side of the basket. I am following the directions in the manual for cleaning the washer. One cup of clorine bleach, One cap of high efficiency detergent. Hot water setting, normal cycle. What else should I be looking for as far as maybe something holding the dirty water back? Perhaps a pump that is malfunctioning, needs cleaning?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-12, 06:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
The only way to clean washer is to take it apart, You can use cleaners but it is soap scum that is built up in tub and around basket.I personally would not spend 10 minutes working on that washer, It has many known problems, I am surprised to see it is still working. If you want to take apart I will give directions but usually will need parts or will not come come apart without breaking something.

Old 11-30-12, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 347 Posts
Dirt.....like brown dirt ? or like pugsi suggests.....soap scum ?

Old 12-01-12, 05:00 PM
Whirlpool kicking back dirt

The stuff it was depositing on my wife's whites was leaf particles from the mulching process I use on my 2 acres of lawn. I don't rake leaves, I chop them up into mulch, too many to pile up. While I was waiting for some replies, I got busy with a bottle of 409 and my compressed air hose and gun. I followed the manual for cleaning instructions, and in the process determined that the stuff was not being deposited on her clothes during "wash" cycle, but was nailing everything during the "rinse" cycle. this let me to an area near the top of the tub where I can just barely get my fingers (and the tip of my air gun) into. this area has places both above and below a "rim" that was loaded with this leaf residue. I worked for an hour with the gun and some paper towels picking up this stuff as I went. I ran a couple of test cycles, and although a few stray particles showed up in the discharge tub, none were present in the wash tub after I was done. I find it interesting that this washer does not have a good reputation. It has been fine except for the problem I mentioned with the leaking plastic overflow pipe, and this one, which I am probably to blame for. I am going to get wife a new washer, and keep this one for my stuff until it gives up.

Old 12-01-12, 05:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 347 Posts
I'm guessing that the spinning cycle is slinging that residue up there. Pretty tough area to clean.

Old 12-01-12, 05:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
Whrilpool washer has a emblem on front cabinet that pops off. There is a 5/16 screw under it. take screw out and top will slide forward and lift back. Can than get to top to clean.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...Mod=GVW9959KQ3
top part #51 cabinet part # 38

Old 12-02-12, 07:11 PM
Whirlpool washer kicking back dirt.

I knew about the screw under the emblem, and that was the first thing I did. I cleaned the area visible when you raise the cover that the removing the screw will let you raise up. but that was not where I spoke about in my last post. This rim is below the area visible when you raise the cover, and you cannot see it from the top You have to stick your fingers, or air gun as I described to get at the leaf dirt that collected there. Mrs says I fixed it, two loads of clean wash. I was able to access this area without taking out the screw you mentioned and raising the cover, just the lid that lets you put in the clothes, detergent etc.

thanks for the tip on the screw though, That was a big help when I was trying to track down an overflow leak, but wasn't able to fix. Someone posted that this model was a lemon. I can believe it.