Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Large Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

Exploded diaper with washer now having a burning smell Read more: http://www.do

Old 12-07-12, 06:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Everyone who has had kids in disposable diapers has had the joy of find a diaper unintentionally in the wash...er, right?

My husband found one when pulling clothes out of the washer, and the silica had exploded. We shook out the clothes, but they were still a total mess and needed to be rewashed. Handfuls of silica were taken out of the washer as well.

Now I smell a burning plastic smell coming from the washer while in use. It terrifies me. Any suggestions/brainstorming on this? I assume some ripping things apart and cleaning is required...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-12, 07:35 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Had to laugh as yep, it's happen to us (me), but never torn open. Just a 10lb soggy diaper.

I would suspect that the silica or what ever they put in them has gotten outside the drum and into the tubing, pump and/or anywhere else those small pieces could find their way in.

If you have a newer washer like ours, this could be interesting. If you have a slightly older (or a newer basic) washer, it shouldn't be too hard to clean out all the diaper stuff.
On a simplier unit, you should be able to remove the back pannel (make sure to disconnect the water and unplug it) and see the drum, pump and most of the areas that could be affected.
I can't provide exact information from here, as I'm not a washer repair person, nor have I worked on them enough to know how to address each item.
Have a vacume and a flashlight handy and take your time. Follow the path of where the diaper was, and where it could have gone from inside the tub and you should find problem area.

Sorry I can't be much more help on this. Hopefully someone with more experience can pipe up with exact areas to look.
If you find troubled areas, let us know and someone (maybe even myslf) can offer suggestions as to how to address.

Old 12-07-12, 07:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
There is always something found in the washer that doesn't belong there.

My only thoughts here are that maybe the water pump has that silca gel in it.
It may be a belt driven pump.

Please give us the make and model of your machine so we help your further.
(i.d. plate can usually be found by lifting lid up and looking down under bottom of lid )

Old 12-07-12, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Do not try to remove back of washer until we know what type washer you have. Most washers are serviced from front

Old 12-07-12, 02:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
My kids were raised using cloth diapers, so these disposables are new to us. Grandkids used them. I always thought the "weight" on the side of the package was how much they would hold before you had to change them Hey, I didn't know!!

Old 12-07-12, 09:37 PM
Thank you for the quick replies!

I didn't think to get the name and model number as I was typing while the washing machine was going and all around freaking out. I'm screwed in case of a natural disaster.

It's a Whirlpool Stylemaster LA5550XTW0. I can't seem to find a manual for it online - the Whirlpool site doesn't have one even. Diagram for installing (dated 1993), but no manual. It looks like you take off the back, but I could be wrong. Which is why I'm not touching it yet.

Old 12-07-12, 09:43 PM
My kids were raised using cloth diapers, so these disposables are new to us. Grandkids used them. I always thought the "weight" on the side of the package was how much they would hold before you had to change them Hey, I didn't know!!

Hah, forgot to reply to this!

We did cloth diapers with our kid, which was easy and cheap. We now use one to two diapers a day (sleeping times), and I found that throwing them in with the towels resulted in leaks (Finicky things).

Cloth diapers nowadays are much different! Our parents, aunts, and uncles were shocked.

As for weight...my immature brain wants to do a science experiment.

Old 12-08-12, 02:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
To take off cabinet 2 plastic caps on end of console pop off to you, Screw under each cap. Lift console up and hinge back. 2 gold colored clamps 1 on each side, put screwdriver in slot and pop them off. Unplug lid switch and take cabinet off
I don't think you have to take off the plastic end caps on your's I think you can see the screws, A lot of Whirlpools have the end cap screws in the back of cap if not in front look there. screws will point down to cabinet.
Don't know if this will help a lot. you can access the water pump this way. If a lot of stuff left in washer you could take washer out side and take pump off try to flush pellets out the bottom.Take hose and put it into tub and let it flow.Do not get motor wet