GE refrigerator w/ frozen drain tube

Old 12-11-12, 10:30 AM
GE refrigerator w/ frozen drain tube

I have a GE PFSF6PKWBWW refrigerator that annually has its condensate drain line freeze up, causing water to spill into and collect at the bottom of the refrigerator compartment. Last time I figured out how to solve the problem by removing the back panel (after hours of defrosting), and using a hair dryer to melt the ice in the tube. However, this is a real pain in the neck, and after having to do it yet again I'd like to do something to prevent this from happening in the future.

I have found the item "GE Refrigerator Drain Heater Tube WR2X9393" but I'm not sure if this works with my model. Is there anything I can do to prevent the drain tube from freezing up every year? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-12, 01:44 PM
Update: I found a website with a life size picture of the "GE Refrigerator Drain Heat Probe WR2X9393", so I decided to make a reasonable copy of it using a piece of 12 gage copper wire (the thickest I had around). Once I got the ice thawed, my version of the "heat probe" slipped right in the tube, and I hooked it onto the heater that is located on the outside of the evaporator. It doesn't seem to be as thick as the aluminum one GE offers, but hopefully it will do the trick. I'll post an update if it freezes up again.

I've attached a picture of the setup.

Attached Images  
Old 12-11-12, 02:43 PM
Upvotes Received: 16
You probably should have wrapped several turns of the copper around the heating element to ensure good heat transfer.

I had pretty much the same problem with my KitchenAide (sp?) refrigerator several months ago. It started when I decided to clean out the freezer compartment and I obviously put it back in operation when there was an ice plug in the drain line. I fought it for at least a month and finally took the ice maker out and removed all the removable panels in the freezer. I found what looked to be a float valve or something in the drain line but none of the on-line manuals said anything about a valve. I found an article about the copper wire on the heater and down the drain but I didn't want to go to that much work considering the refrigerator had been just fine for the first ten years.

I finally just let it set with the doors open for several hours and dribbled hot water into the drain line. Eventually the ice plug melted and I was able to run a wire completely through the drain line and also flushed it out well with hot water. I reassembled the thing and it has been fine for the last several months.