Kenmore refrigerator won't get cold enough

Old 12-19-12, 06:38 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore refrigerator won't get cold enough

I have a 3 year old Kenmore top freezer model 253.6823280, Amana I think. The freezer gets to below 0F if I let it. But the refrigerator part will not get down to below 42F.

The evaporator in the freezer is free of ice.
The evaporator fan is working.
The compressor does not run continuously.
The condenser is clean.
The condenser fan is OK.

The fridge temp control is turned all the way cold. We I back it off it goes almost halfway before turning off the compressor.

I'm thinking either the defrost timer is on too long or however the cold air gets to the fridge compartment from the freezer is impeded.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-12, 06:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 601 Votes on 555 Posts
I'm not familiar with that model but if the freezer is freezing properly but the fridge is warm I look at how the cold gets down to the fridge. In the past I've found the duct frozen closed with condensate and melted Popsicle. I've seen the fan motor die that blows the air down to the fridge. I've seen the air diverter mechanism break, leaving the door jammed partially closed preventing the cold air from getting to the fridge.

Old 12-21-12, 08:54 AM
R
I took the freezer compartment apart where the evaporator and fan are and all looked good. From what I have read the temp control is for the freezer and the fridge temp is set on how long the freezer is calling for cold.

The temp control knob will click open even when the compressor is not running. So either something electrically between the temp control switch is bad or like you suggest the duct work is clogged. I did have to clean up some melted ice cream in the freezer compartment.

I guess I need to take the top panel off the fridge out. This is where the temp control and wiring are. I assume the defrost timer too.

I wish I had a wire diagram. They didn't put one in the owners manual.

Old 12-21-12, 11:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
there maybe a tech sheet either behind toe panel or behind back panel.

Old 12-21-12, 01:19 PM
R
Resolved

Well I took down the control panel in the bottom compartment. It has the defrost timer and temp controller in it as well as two light fixtures. Easy to get off and just let hang.

I took it all the way out to look it over and pried the timer contact out a bit to expose the 4 pins so I could trouble shoot later.

Plugged the panel back in to the main wire harness and turn it back on. The fridge went right down to 36F where I then turned the control up still it shut off.

So it was one of the pins not making contact. Don't know for sure whether it was the main plug of the defroster plug. I bet the defroster plug.

Anyway l I'll take it back out and spray the connector ends with some WD 40. Maybe deform the pins a tiny bit and put it all back together.

Attached Images    
Old 12-21-12, 02:11 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 601 Votes on 555 Posts
Good job finding the problem. If it reoccurs you can try coating the pins with solder.

Old 12-21-12, 02:18 PM
R
The defroster relay had four cooper coated 1/4" spade terminals., pretty stout. I think the spray of WD will keep it in good shape as it is a tight fit.

The main harness pins are the usual connector pack type though.