Dishwasher immediately trips breaker

Old 12-23-12, 11:50 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher immediately trips breaker

GE Profile Dishwasher PDW8480J10. Built-in, hard-wired.

After noticing the dishwasher control panel did not respond, I discovered a tripped breaker. The breaker will not reset.

I opened the kick-plate under the dishwasher and inspected where power connects. I removed the wire-nuts and tested for power to the dishwasher--none. I separated the dishwasher's b&w wires from the house-wiring, and discovered that the breaker would reset. I immediately tested for power to the dishwasher, and got power. I get continuity across the dishwasher's b&w wires. I get no continuity across black-to-ground or white-to-ground. The breaker immediately trips when I connect the dishwasher b&w wires to (hot) house-wiring., and the breaker will not reset.

Does this problem seem familiar to anyone? If so, what additional t'shooting steps should I do? or, what might the problem be?

Old 12-23-12, 12:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome back after a long absence! You may have chafed a cable/wire when installing it, but that wouldn't explain why you have a non tripping situation with the wires unhooked from the DW. Concerning the wires to the DW, can you see them for their full run to the motor/control panel, or at least in the immediate area of the junction box? You shouldn't be getting continuity across b/w on the DW. If this is a new DW, it could be faulty from the factory. If checking the immediate wiring on the DW does not show any signs of chafing or grounding, then take it back.

Old 12-23-12, 01:23 PM
H
Received 137 Votes on 119 Posts
Initial guess is that there's a piece of bone / glass wedged in the chopper.

Newer dishwashers have a mini garbage disposal built in, called a chopper.
An immediate breaker reset, but no short, sounds like the motor is jammed.

Old 12-23-12, 02:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
There will be a wiring diagram posted inside the unit. You will have to go thru and isolate items.
I doubt it's the motor and my first guess was a shorted heater element.

I don't see a mechanical timer which means this unit use an electronic control board which doesn't activate anything until door is closed and you press start. Therefore that leaves a shorted control board.

Old 12-23-12, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
If the dishwasher trips the breaker even when the dishwasher is off (not in a cycle) follow the hot (black) wire and see if you can find a spot where it has shorted to the metal frame.

Old 02-08-13, 12:07 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
e'yup... shorted control board. and upon closer inspection of the board, i found a blown cap that was shorted (arc'd) to an ajacent transformer on the board when the breaker was thrown. i identified and replaced the cap, cleaned up the stinky char from the surrounding area, and "voila"... working dishwasher again.

thanks for the tip.

Old 02-08-13, 03:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Thanks for stopping by and updating us.
It's always a plus to hear of a job completed with our help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: