Maytag dryer melted cord at terminal block

Reply

  #1  
Old 12-25-12, 12:29 PM
T
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag dryer melted cord at terminal block

I hope i am describing things properly and using the right terms.

My dryer stopped working a few weeks ago. I heard a little "sizzle' sound when i pushed the start button. I did it a couple of times before the dryer would not start. I thought it was in the start switch, but i just looked at the wiring at the terminal today and the top wire of the dryer cord was burned in two and the black and yellow wires attached to that same terminal (?) were also melted. I could not pull the nut off the bolt and the whole thing (bolt-thingy with the ring terminals attached--the dryer cord was already burned through and i cut the black and yellow wires) pulled out and the hole in the plastic block (?) that the metal bolt thing had fitted into seemed to have a small chunk out of the top of the hole.

Must I replace the dryer cord or can i cut it and attach new ring terminals? there is plenty of length. The plug end of the cord and the outlet are fine.

Can simply attach a new ring terminal to the black and yellow wires.

Do I need to replace the black plastic terminal block (?) or if it is okay like it is. I don't know what it does besides hold the wires.

Any ideas as to what might have caused this problem???
 
  #2  
Old 12-25-12, 05:29 PM
pugsl's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 9,029
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
You need the terminal block. Reason it burned up and screw will not come out is wjo ever installed dryer did not tighten the screws enough. Post model # and can tell you where to get part. Also will need model # if you go to local part store. Look for a block with wires attached you will need them. Get a new power cord also.
 
  #3  
Old 12-25-12, 08:26 PM
T
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag Electric Dryer Model Number LDE7500ACW
 
  #4  
Old 12-25-12, 09:19 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 60,880
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Terminal block aasembly - general part number 400008

Whirlpool 400008 - Terminal Block with Nuts and Washers | PartSelect

400008 Cord Terminal Block Maytag, Jenn Air, Magic Chef, Amana, GE, Hotpoint, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, KitchenAid


It appears that the internal wiring harness for inside the dryer is un-available so you will need to repair that.
You will also need a new line cord with plug.
You can search the above part number for the best price. Probably order the cord from the same place.
 
  #5  
Old 12-25-12, 09:37 PM
T
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I wonder if the connection could have worked itself loose over time. I have been using the dryer for 9 1/2 years with no issues.

I don't know about repairing "internal wiring harness". Is there more to it than cutting the bad part off the 2 wires and putting a ring terminal on the end like it was? This really looks like a very localized problem to me. I don't know if there was even anything wrong with the black and yellow wires or if the casing just melted a little at the end from the heat of the dryer cord burning through.

So, once I get a a new terminal block and dryer cord and I repair the wiring, I have no guarantee that there isn't something else wrong, right?

Thanks so much for the help!
 
  #6  
Old 12-25-12, 10:17 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 60,880
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Yes....I would think just replacing the crimps on the internal wiring would take care of the internal wiring issue.

The nuts on the block may have vibrated loose.
Possibly a little bit of corrosion that increased with age.
I'd just be guessing.
 
  #7  
Old 12-26-12, 02:06 AM
pugsl's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 9,029
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Internal wiring mostly likely only melted about a inch. Cut off and replace with supplied wire. I know the Whrilpool ones come with wire and wire nuts.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: