Amana fridge stopped working

Old 01-14-13, 08:50 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Amana fridge stopped working

Hi,

I'm am a diligent poster but I just didn't have time to search before heading off to work so I apologize if this has been covered before. Our about 15 year old Amana fridge (side by side w/ ice & water in the door) has suddenly stopped running. Model number is DRS2662ASW. Lights are still on but there is no humming or any other kind of noise and it of course warmed up (both sides). I am pretty good w/ electrical and troubleshooting. Are there any typical loose connections, relays, switches, etc. that could be the culprit. We are in the middle of a long kitchen remodel and don't even have a fridge picked out yet; that was supposed to be a few months later so I'd really like to try and get this running again.

I am off to work but will work on it later today.

Thanks so much for any help.

Biederboat

Old 01-14-13, 09:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
The model number appears incorrect. Most likely DRS2662AW.

Two items could cause this problem....main thermostat and the defrost timer. Both should be in the same area of the fridge.

First link is parts listings
Second link is a little help video on fridge repairs.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...W/1268/0165000

How It Works: Refrigerators - YouTube

Old 01-14-13, 05:28 PM
B
Thanks, it looks like the compressor is receiving voltage but not kicking on. I pulled the unit out, removed covers, plugged in an condensor fan runs but can't get anything out of the compressor. Now, I'm measuring voltage at what might be a relay (stuck on side of compressor). There is apparently a thermal cut-out on top and that appears to be okay (has zero resistance across it). Is there a possibility that it's just the compressor relay? It did this once before but then ran again and it was running fine up until the time it just "quit". It's just been my experience that motors tend to fail rather "slow" (noise, poor performance, etc.) whereas things like relays & starters just all out "fail".

Thanks,
BB

Old 01-14-13, 05:50 PM
B
So I dug further, pulled off the relay. I know a bit of "rattling" is not good but how about if it sounds like it's full of gravel! I do believe I've found the problem.

Thanks,
BB

Old 01-14-13, 06:21 PM
Group Moderator
Uh oh.....rattling doesn't sound like a good thing.

Overload/start relay part # 10377023
[h=2][/h]

Old 01-15-13, 04:59 PM
B
I actually got the relay at a local store for $38. Looked like a $5 part (at the most) but it was nice to get it up and running without a service call.

BB

Old 01-16-13, 12:12 AM
Group Moderator
You're the man......nice job

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: