Amana Washer ALW895SAW Motor Hums

Old 01-18-13, 08:21 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Amana Washer ALW895SAW Motor Hums

I replaced the belt, idler pully wheel with its appropriate washers and retaining clip. Checked out the motor pully and it looks good. Looked at the water pump and it also looks good. So this was suppose to take care of the original problem of no agitation.

So after the new parts I put the motor back in hooked it all up, put some water in the tub and started the washer. It (motor) hums. Tried the wash/spin speed switch (fast, reg slow, gentle fast, gentle slow) and the motor tone did not change just a hum. When I put on the timer extra spin it spins just fine, but no agitation.

My neighbor unhooked the belt and moved everything counterclockwise and it is fine. Moved it clockwise and it is fine. So nothing seems to be binding.

The service manual (RS3100007) says to test "motor start switch and start windings". How am I to do this and what kind of readings should I get. The service manual doesn't tell me this information, and the schematic/diagram of the motor switch doesn't match what is actually on the motor.

Is it possible to buy just the motor switch (p/n 35632 or 35652) and not the whole motor assembly. If any one knows this would be great.

So I don't know what to do next if I can't get a motor switch.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Glenda

Old 01-18-13, 08:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
It (motor) hums. Tried the wash/spin speed switch (fast, reg slow, gentle fast, gentle slow) and the motor tone did not change just a hum. When I put on the timer extra spin it spins just fine, but no agitation.
You're saying two different things here. Motor hums. Motor tone did not change. Spin is just fine

When you say the motor hums.....that tells me that either it's frozen and not spinning or it's spinning and nothing is happening.

You say spin is fine. That means motor is spinning.
Does the motor spin when in wash mode ?

Also....the parts you replaced would be the ones to change if the motor was spinning but you didn't have spin and agitate.

I believe you have a drive block issue.

Amana Washer Won't Agitate - Model ALW895SAW - Repair Parts - RepairClinic.com

A video showing you the drive block installation.
Parts ship fast to US and Canada - YouTube

Old 01-19-13, 04:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Take the belt off and try motor in wash cycle , Does the motor hum now? If so most likely motor,

Old 01-19-13, 12:31 PM
D
Already tried that and yes the motor hums. I have ordered new motor but it will take awhile to get here. Will let you know how goes once motor gets here and is installed.

thanks for answering.............Glenda

Old 01-20-13, 07:52 PM
D
Hi PjMax,
Sorry had stuff to do couldn't get back to you right away.
Will try and make myself more clear.

1. Motor does hum all the time it is plugged in with power.

2. When I said motor tone did not change I was talking about the wash/spin speed switch (fast, reg slow, gentle fast, gentle slow) and the motor tone did not change just a hum. When the washer wasn't broken I could hear the motor change speed sounds when I went to the different wash/spin speeds. Now that it is broken all I hear is the motor hum.

3. When I put the timer on spin the tub would spin and I could hear the water moving.

4. The parts I replaced because I inherited the mobilehome with the washer and dryer and I have no idea how old the belt was. The idler pully wheel was frozen in place and had a flat spot. So I put new one on. The idler pully wheel does have something to do with agitation so does the belt.

5. The original problem was it went from slow agitation to no agitation.

6. Ok.....I did order the drive block (service manual calls it a drive bell and seal assembly) unfortunately that particular drive block is the wrong one. I have already gone around with Repair Clinic about the one they sent. My machine drive bell and seal are different then the ones they sent. I found out the correct drive bell and seal have to be ordered with my agitator flex vane. The drive bell I took out of the machine has a long nose on it and it looks good to myself and my neighbor. Maybe it's not??? Nothing near what is pictured and sent for my washer. Service manual says replace drive bell and seal if things are leaking. So as I think I mentioned before my Washer is a series 15. Which means some different parts. It is hard to know if I am ordering and getting the correct ones. Especially since it is so old part numbers have changed. The service manual is for Amana but most of the schematics are for different series. Makes it kind of hard. My parts list is from Maytag....go figure.

I hope this make things more clear. I am not a Washer repair person. But I am trying.

Thanks for any help you are willing to give me....I am listening and do appreciate.

Glenda

Old 01-20-13, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
No problem.....the point I was trying to make was that the motor can be turning and humming or not turning and be humming.

I don't want to recommend changing a part that maybe not be defective

Now.....when you say the motor hums......it's not turning at all....not in wash and not in spin.....is that correct ?

If yes.....then the motor is bad.

Old 01-21-13, 06:39 PM
D
correct

If the new motor does the same thing I am probably stopping and getting a cheapie new one.

thanks.............glenda

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: