Kenmore Stackable Washer Won't Spin

Old 02-11-13, 10:45 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Stackable Washer Won't Spin

Horrible grinding sound, house filled with black smoke.

So I did what any good cause-jumper would do, I popped the front cabinet, pulled the belt - some cracks, some fusing - and replaced it.

Same issue. Post-rinse, during the drain-and-spin cycle, it drains but will not spin.

What's interesting is the smoke and belt damage would indicate to me that the flywheels are moving, but not the belt. However that does not seem to be the case.

Is this a repairable concern? Or am I better off replacing?

Thanks

Old 02-11-13, 11:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
We need a model number of that unit.

One particular problem is the drain pump gets clogged or bound up.

Old 02-11-13, 06:32 PM
R
Model 417.94862302

How does the drain pump being clogged explain that the belt doesn't spin, but the wheel does?

Thanks for any and all help!

rjb

Old 02-11-13, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
OK.......thanks for the model number. Your unit uses a separate water pump which eliminates that from the equation.

After looking at the exploded view of your unit I recognize what the most likely problem is.

You will need to replace the spin bearing (part # 26) in pictorial.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...R0403086/00005

And the seal kit (part # 26) in pictorial.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...R0403086/00006

When you click on the links.....you'll see a small picture.....if you click on "view full size" the picture will open in a new page. Click on that picture for a full size image that you can move with your cursor.

Not a really easy job for a DIY'er.

Old 02-11-13, 08:20 PM
R
OK, wow. Thanks.

Are you a Kenmore savant? Or are your Googling skills far superior to mine? I had a hard time finding anything specific on this model other than random "Fixya.com" whingings.

Either way, how simple is it to replace the spin bearing? Am I better off just finding a legit repairman? (More importantly, are those parts something that a repairman would keep in stock?)

Thanks for the quick advice.

rjb

Old 02-11-13, 08:40 PM
Group Moderator
Most brands co-share the design of the units. Once I see a picture I recognize the problems that are common.

That is a tough repair. The whole drum assy must come apart. I think I would enlist the aid of a Kenmore/Sears repairman. One of those guys may have those parts on board. I wouldn't. Just the belt. I think the biggest problem is the seals leak right into the bearing.

I'm trying to remember something about service contract with Sears and service. Maybe Don can fill us in on it. He'll be stopping by in the early AM.

P.S. when you search for Kenmore/Sears stuff.....don't use the decimal point. For some reason the Sears parts site doesn't like it.

Old 02-11-13, 09:11 PM
R
Given my past experience trying to get a Sears/Kenmore repairman out to the house... It's pretty likely I won't be searching for Sears/Kenmore appliance parts after this weekend!

Thanks for the help!

rjb

Old 02-12-13, 04:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
I do a lot of those washers if you call Sears get there 1 year maintenance plan you will thank me. I have done many of those and it is usually 2 man job also usually transmission is needed also. Call them don't do it on line and ask about plan.

Old 02-15-13, 05:38 AM
R
Well, not to pile on Sears, but I have never had a good experience with their "service" team. When I've called local Sears repair folks in the past, they refuse to answer questions, can't help locate parts, anything helpful.

My particular challenge is I travel for work. Most weeks I fly out on Sunday afternoon or early Monday and return Friday night. "Luckily" I'm able to get home in time for the "1-5" window today for Sears. So, taking your advice above, I tried to call - and also to confirm they read the "diagnosis" about the spin bearing - I didn't want them to show up, look at it, say, "Yeah, that's a spin bearing. We'll be back on Wednesday with one..."

Every time I called, I got an offshore call center with zero product knowledge. The best - the absolute best - I could get was "Our technicians carry 'common' parts in the vans". Now, I have no idea if this is a "common part" or not - and no one could confirm it. Nor could they answer anything about a maintenance plane - "If you did not but it yourself, sir, then the warranty is no longer valid." (The contractor who renovated the house before we purchased it actually installed the appliances; they were "new" when we moved in, but not on our receipt!). (And the call center refused to help without the full "decimel" model number!)

So I am skeptically optimistic I will have a working washing machine tonight. I will have a hard time paying for the service call if it is indeed a spin bearing, and they don't have the parts they need - given that I've told them three times what to bring!

One technical question:
If it is indeed the spin bearing that's failing, how does that explain that the "drive" wheel spins when the belt is removed, but seizes with the belt on?

Old 02-15-13, 01:56 PM
R
Just thought I'd share.

Three hours after the appointment window opens, my phone rings:
"This is the technician. I have a problem - I can't find any history on your machine."
OK? So?
"When did we work on it last?"
You didn't.
"Well the problem is I have all of these instructions on the work order and I don't know who put them there."
Pause.
I don't know what your work order says.
"It says there's 'smoke billowing out from underneath washer.' Is there smoke now?"
No. I told y'all that on Monday when I scheduled the appointment.
"It says the tub isn't spinning."
Right...
"And changing the drive belt didn't do anything."
Right...
Long pause.
"So who changed the drive belt?"
I did.
"You did?"
Yes.
"Why?"
Because. The. Tub. Wasn't. Spinning. And. Smoke. Was. Billowing. Out.
Long pause.
Breath.
Long pause.
Breath.
"Well I guess I will come out."

I think he thought I was sitting in a house for four days with a washing machine on fire.

Old 02-15-13, 03:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure why spins by hand but not with belt. Usual 2 man job, would have to reschedule and order part. You might find a local Company to do job.in 1 visit. Can get refund it you want, just tell them tech was not helpfull.

Old 02-15-13, 04:34 PM
R
It got worse before it got better.
"Yeah, I can't find a place to park. We'll have to reschedule."

See, I took the day off from work and changed an airline ticket (and absorbed the change fees) to get home for the appointment. So, yeah, rescheduling isn't working for me.

He got here, said (of course) that he didn't carry parts on the van, but he'd take a look.

He fiddled and twisted and grunted for about 45 minutes, pronounced it "OK" and called it a day. I was told by Sears it would be $75, but it was $130 ("The 75 is only if we don't do any work"), he didn't put the front back on... But it's working.

He says he couldn't find anything wrong, so whatever.

It's working.

Thanks for your help and advice, and thanks for following the saga!

I have a corker of a problem with a lag bolt slipping out of a brick wall I may post about tomorrow... Stay tuned.

Thanks again for your help.

rjb

Old 02-15-13, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
You can't make this stuff up.

He didn't put the front back on and left

Old 02-16-13, 05:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Call and complain, Tell them what happened Call this # 888 236 1885 , Should have better service than this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: