GE Fridge Top Freezer not freezing and Refrigerator not as cool

Old 02-19-13, 02:12 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question GE Fridge Top Freezer not freezing and Refrigerator not as cool

This is my fridge: GE Appliances: Error - Product is Unavailable

It basically is doing what the title says. Food on the mid to bottom of freezer is staying frozen and food from mid section to top is cold cold, but mushy. There is noise in the freezer, like the upper fan is circulating air, but the refrigerator side is dead quiet and there is no air circulation on that side. I read up a lil bit on this and that it could be a fan that is out, but where it is and is that likely all it is?

Also, there is a lot of frost build-up on the back lower wall of the freezer too. Food in the fridge part is staying cold and good, but I get the feeling the food will not last as long because there is no air circulation in the fridge part of it.

HELP!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-13, 09:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,049 Votes on 973 Posts
Your link did not work.

It sounds like your fridge is not defrosting properly. Actually a pretty common problem. Are you getting any puddles of water from freezer section ?
If the evaporator coil doesn't unthaw properly there will not be proper air flow thru it.

There are three parts that could cause the problem.
Defrost timer, defrost thermostat, defrost heating element.

I need an exact model number to help you further.

Old 02-20-13, 08:37 AM
S
Question

Since, I guess I can't edit my 1st post, try this link instead:
Link to my GE fridge

GSS25WGMWW is the model number in the fridge, but when I look up parts online I find absolutely nothing.

The closest part number I can find for parts availability is this: GSS25WGMAWW - which when you add the "A" in there, this also corresponds to sister fridges ending in BB and CC "without the A in there".

Here's the search results for the sister fridges of my fridge. Notice they do not have the "A" in the model number, but when you plug in the "A" you get all kinds of parts results amongst various web sites:
GE Appliances Literature Search Results: gss25wgm

Last night I spent a lot of time defrosting the freezer. Today both seem to be working correctly, but I'm not sure that will last long. I did notice that the air sharing DOOR seemed like it was stuck OPEN in the fridge when I removed the cover for it... as soon as I removed the cover for it the door closed on its own, but I don't know if it was really stuck or if it was coincidence that I saw it close when I removed the freezer/fridge air-share door cover. Would that door being stuck open cause the problem too? or is it more likely one of the 3 parts you said?

Thanks.

Old 02-21-13, 02:28 AM
Group Moderator
i still think a defrost issue.

I would open freezer section bottom rear to check for defrost activity.
Video from parts select shows freezer section open

GE WR50X10068 - Defrost Thermostat | PartSelect

Old 02-21-13, 10:01 PM
S
I will look at the video in the morning. Thanks.

I meant to add that you were right about the water drippage from the freezer door. That was/is happening too.

Old 02-26-13, 09:01 AM
S
Ok, I looked at the part and saw the very informative video. thanks. Is there any way I can test that this part is bad before I replace it???

Old 02-27-13, 02:31 AM
Group Moderator
You would need to check the continuity of the defrost heater and thermostat with an ohmmeter.

Old 02-27-13, 08:26 PM
S
IS the defrost heater in that video? WOndering what it looks like.

Old 02-27-13, 10:32 PM
Group Moderator
This video shows the replacement of the defrost heater. If you look to the right of the screen in you tube you'll see other videos for GE fridges.

Defrost Heater Replacement (part #WR51X10055) - GE Refrigerator Repair - YouTube

Parts listing for your unit. Part #230 is the heater and part #240 is the thermostat

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...&prst=&shdMod=

Old 04-05-13, 04:45 PM
S
Is it possible that if not dealt with, a bad defrost thermostat can cause a fridge to stop kicking on at all?

Haven't had a chance to do this fix and it was still freezing up and we were defrosting it a few times and now it just won't start the compressor at all. We plug it in and it tries to turn on for a second and then it just shuts off.

Old 04-05-13, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
No.....a bad defrost thermostat will not effect the refrigerator running. You have a control board in the back of the fridge. You may have a problem with that. It could keep the compressor from running. This fridge is a little confusing with the defrost mode since it uses an adaptive control board that is supposed to know when to defrost the fridge. It may be time to call a service company.

Old 04-05-13, 10:38 PM
S
My sister jiggle wiggle wiggled the power cord and the fridge eventually came on. I guess its time for a new power cord.

Old 04-29-13, 09:32 PM
S
FYI - It was the defrost heater. It was crispy black. Appliance man replaced it for my mom. Thanks to all.

Old 04-30-13, 12:35 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the update. Glad it's back working again