I Chipped The Edge Of Glass Cooktop

Old 02-20-13, 01:12 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool I Chipped The Edge Of Glass Cooktop

I chipped the edge of a black countertop range that is fixed to the granite countertop with adhesive. A new top will cost $251.75 plus shipping and it's such a small area that it's not worth a new top. Would anyone happen to know if there is a black epoxy or mastic that will harden that I can use for repair?

Old 02-20-13, 01:17 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
So the piece is gone, you're looking to build up what's there as opposed to gluing the chip back on?

Old 02-20-13, 01:23 PM
C
JB Weld (2 part epoxy, you can even get at an auto store) would probably be perfect for this. Tape around the area first so you dont get epoxy into an are you dont need to. After the epoxy hardens, sand it down to match the area, then paint it to match.. That's what I would do..

Old 02-20-13, 01:25 PM
M
Actually, it sort of crushed the area some fibers are showing. There is no chip to adhere back on. Someone said that the heat resistant engine black epoxy is one thing top possibly use. The damage is to the edge and nowhere near a burner and the subsequent heat it'd give off. So yes, I want to build up the area that is chipped/crushed. Some of the ceramic is as I said crushed so most likely it'd have to be removed prior to any "epoxy."

Old 02-20-13, 01:46 PM
M
JB Weld has black epoxy so perhaps that'll work??

Old 02-20-13, 01:55 PM
C
I've only seen the black / grey mix which usually turns out like a dark grey but if they have black, even better. It's pretty heat resistant, I've used it on hot engines, just not sure what the limit is..

Old 02-20-13, 03:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 360 Votes on 317 Posts
I doubt heat would be an issue with JB Weld especially at the edge of the cook top. My concern would be getting the repair formed/sanded and painted where it didn't look like a repair. The only JB Weld I've used is the white/black that turns grey when you mix it. They do have a couple of other products but I haven't used them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: