Excellence frig: everything frozen in frig section

Old 02-26-13, 06:29 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Excellence frig: everything frozen in frig section

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Pjmax: was wondering if you have any ideasabout troubleshooting an Excellence frig (Model ERDB1251, 11.7 cu ft, not frostfree, 24 years old) cause right now neither frig in the house works properly.there is a plastic cup closure over the back of the frig (about 3"w x5"l x 2" depth just below the freezer on the R side back offrig)---could this be where an evap fan motor would be housed (see attachedimage)? i don't ever recall hearing or feeling a fan motor blowing inside this frig.

there is no panel to remove in the freezer but there is a panel in the top backwall of the frig & wonder if I need to open that up (see attached image)?

WAS GONE 2 MONTHS & WHEN I RETURNED EVERYTHING WAS FROZEN IN THEREFRIGERATOR SECTION. I RAN A TUBE DOWN THE DRAIN PIPE & THERE WAS NOBLOCKAGE. I DEFROSTED THE FRIG TWICE. i SET TEMP CONTROL AT DIFFERENT LEVELS& AT 1 SETTING (WARMEST SETTING), THE FRIG WAS 19 DEGREES & THE FREEZERWAS -19 DEGREES. I RAN A CONTINUITY TEST ON THE TEMPERATURE CONTROL & ITWAS FINE.

any suggestions what else to test? Thankyou!

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-13, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
I'm fairly certain there is no fan in your unit. If you look in the pic below.....you'll see the red box I drew. Inside of that box is what is called a cold plate. You can see the raised/punched tubing outline. There is probably one in freezer and one in fridge.

You problem sounds like your thermostat went bad. It would appear that it is getting stuck on.

I don't recognize the Excellence brand name nor can I find any type of parts listing for it. Could that be a trade name ? Try looking around for another name.... a parent brand.

While you are looking around you should find a wiring schematic for that unit. Sometimes folded up near the compressor.

The thermostat that is used in that unit may no longer be available but it's a very basic thermostat. If I had to replace it....I would either check for a brand name and part number on it (for example: Robertshaw) or remove it and take it to a local appliance parts center.

The pic of the thermostat is similar to what you will have. It will have a capillary tube that will go to the fridge or freezer section.

Attached Images   
Old 02-26-13, 11:35 PM
F
Question for PJmax Re: Excellence Frig

PJmax: attached is the wiring diagram for Excellence 11.7 cu ft frig (Model ERDB1251). All I could find was Excellence & F.G. Industries, Inc. names on frig. I tested the temp control dial & it tested ok for continuity (at 7 setting it read 000, & at 0 setting it read 1; see attached photo of temp control).

so is there anything else to test on this frig?

it looks like the capilary tube attached to the temp control in the frig is fed back thru the inside wall of the frig---how hard is that going to be to get out & feed it back thru the inner wall?

what is that thing in upper left corner of refrigerator in attached photo? is this where the coolant is sent to the cold plate in refrigerator?

also wondering what the black plastic box is on the back of the frig (see photo of it in earlier post).

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Images    
Old 02-27-13, 02:01 AM
Group Moderator
That first pic is the connecting freon lines. Those blue wires wrapped around the lines is a type of heating cable forming a very basic defrost anti freeze feature for the lines. It is active when the compressor is not running.

I don't know what the black cover is for.....is there a light inside unit ?

The capillary tube is designed to be serviced. It can be removed. The tube can not be bent sharply (folded)or it will be damaged internally.

AS far as testing the thermostat.....very tough. First of all ...... it would need to be unplugged/disconnected from fridge. At room temperature and on any setting it will show shorted. The t'stat's control temperature range is from roughly 35-50 degrees so as long as the fridge is open the temp will be above that keeping it shorted and calling for cold. If you turn the t'stat to off......it should show open.....no continuity.

Old 02-27-13, 09:02 PM
F
Excellence Frig On the Way to the Curb?

PJmax: in response to your question there isn't a light near that black cover on the back of frig. The light is in the same panel with the temp control so i have no idea what that thing is for. You are right about no evap fan cause I've never felt cool air blowing in this frig. Based on the difficulty described to test the thermostat it sounds like it's time to retire this frig,would you agree?

Old 02-27-13, 09:44 PM
Group Moderator
If you have a use for it..... keep it.
It requires a single pole double throw thermostat.

You can take the old one out and bring it to a appliance parts place. I do it all the time. Tell them you want a replacement thermostat. They will need to know the length of the cap. tube and whether the thermostat is a freezer or fridge stat. It depends where the end of the cap tube ends up. They sell universal replacement ones.

You can also look online for a generic replacement. Look for numbers on your old one. Shoot me a pic.

I'll help you out.