Electric Meat Smoker (relocated thread)

Old 02-27-13, 06:24 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electric Meat Smoker (relocated thread)

I intend converting an old electric stove into an electric meat smoker. My plan is to move the top element in the oven to the bottom, just above the existing bottom element. Next I will drill 4 holes on the sides of stove just above the two elements (two on each side) to which i will fit valves to let air into the stove. Then I will drill 4 holes in the sides of the stove near the top (2 on each side) and fit valves to function as smoke outlets.

I will use the existing oven dials to regulate temperature.

Is this feasible and what problems could I be facing?

Last edited by PJmax; 02-27-13 at 08:32 AM. Reason: relocated to electric appliance forum
Old 02-27-13, 08:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
1. Do not move the top element. You will not need it so you can even remove it if you want. Smoking is done at low temperature and the bottom element is more than capable of providing enough heat.

2. Since there is no combustion in an electric smoker you don't need air. Air holes are actually bad. You want to contain and hold the smoke as much as possible.

3. You need to construct or find a steel or stainless steel tray and mount it just above the heating element. Mount the tray maybe 1/2" (1 or 2 cm) above the element. This is where you place moistened wood chips to create the smoke. When the element comes on it heats the wood chips so they smolder and smoke. I drill a series of holes in the tray to allow the heat from the element to more easily get to the wood chips. You want the holes big enough to let the heat through but small enough to prevent the wood from falling through, 1/2" (12 mm) seems to work well.

4. You may want to find a better thermostat. Most oven thermostats are not very accurate at the low end of their range. I would try yours to see how it does but you may want something that can more accurately hold a very low temperature. Typically I smoke at around 160-210 f (70-100 c).

Old 02-28-13, 08:31 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Pilot Dane,

Many thanks. I will let you know how it goes.

Best regards, Jacques Mulder

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: