Refrigerator is warm but freezer is ice cold

Old 03-01-13, 06:37 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refrigerator is warm but freezer is ice cold

My Kenmore Elite refrigerator is not getting very cold. I put a thermometer iside it and it is registering about 55 degrees F. The freezer is still very cold.

There is acutally frost on the back of the freezer where the cold air comes out of. I am not sure if this is related, but the a few days ago the freezer was making a rattling sound which may have been ice in the fan/motor. I got that to stop.

Are there any troubleshooting I can do to get the refrigerator to get cold again? Thank you in advance.

Old 03-01-13, 06:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
Unplug the fridge and remove everything from the freezer. Then remove the back panel of the freezer, you may also have to remove the bottom panel to get the back one off. This will give you access to the air circulating fan and coils. First you will be looking to see if the coils are a solid chunk of ice, if anything is preventing the fan from turning or if the passage down to the refrigerator compartment is blocked. If all that looks OK then plug the fridge in and see if the fan runs. Post back with what you find.

Old 03-01-13, 07:08 AM
S
Thank you for your quick response. I will try this when I get home this afternoon.

Old 03-01-13, 08:45 PM
S
I cleaned the ice and frost that was under the panels, on the coil, and fan. I also cleaned ice out of what looked like hole that goes down to the refrigerator. It still is not cooling below about 58 degrees.

Old 03-01-13, 09:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,326 Votes on 1,225 Posts
If the evaporator coils were full of ice then you have a defrost issue. This is the biggest problem that most fridges have.

There is a defrost timer, defrost thermostat and a defrost heater.

Leave me your model number so I can look up the unit.

Old 03-01-13, 09:12 PM
S
Kenmore Elite Coldspot. 106.74919400

Thank you

Old 03-01-13, 10:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,326 Votes on 1,225 Posts
This is a pretty complicated fridge. It may not be a do it yourself repair.

There are two sensors that monitor temperatures that could be bad.
This fridge doesn't use a defrost timer.....it uses an expensive control board.

Was the fan in the fridge (freezer) running ? That's pretty important.

In the link below.....Repair Clinic has some good videos on appliance repairs. Check it out.
The heading says if fridge freezes items....but it's the same parts if it's too warm also.
Kenmore Refrigerator Freezing Food - Model 106.74919400 - Repair Parts - RepairClinic.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: