Mold in my Whirlpool dishwasher

Old 03-08-13, 09:14 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold in my Whirlpool dishwasher

I have a 9 year old Whirlpool dishwasher that has recently started to bld mold on he inside of the dshwasher after washes. At first it started at the botom of the insude door but now it's sort of all over the place. It drains fine, no water left in the bottom at the end of the cycle.

I have read that this may be a door gasket issue but wanted some feed back before i buy new parts for no good reason. Further, i find it hard to believe that rubber door seal has gone bad but upon further inspectin of other dishwashers i have found that my design is different than most. Most have a v type ridge that would seat firmly into a rubber strip but not mine. Mine is more of a flat surface meeting another flat surface to make a seal. If it turns out that it is the seal I would hope that the genius designer of this door seal has been fired by Whirlpool. Any help would be appreciated as my wife is becoming a major pima. I'm sure you guys understand. Thank you.

Old 03-08-13, 09:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
Mold thrives on plastic and rubber. Can be very tough to get rid of.

Sometimes bleach is used.

One of my personal favorites is hydrogen peroxide. Get a bottle of 3% solution and put it in a spray bottle. Spray the interior of the unit especially the gaskets and allow to soak for 20 minutes. You can wipe off the gaskets and rinse the unit out.

Apply every couple of days until mold no longer returns.

There are other things that will kill mold, but peroxide is very effective.

Old 03-09-13, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
It might be helpful if you left the door slightly open between uses.
You could have a build up of humidity with the door closed making a good environment for mold.

Old 03-10-13, 07:31 PM
M
Thanks for your replys. Is it possible that the heating element is going and it does not get hot enough to fully dry out the inside leaving some moister to form mold on the walls?

Old 03-10-13, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Not necessarily, on a few dishwashers we have owned we never use heated drying and just prop open the door.

Try propping open your door when not in use and your problem may go away.

Old 03-10-13, 08:02 PM
M
I guess this is for energy savings? I never tried not using self dry with the dishwasher.

Old 03-10-13, 08:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
Definitely energy savings. I have never used heated dry before.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: