Kenmore 80 series washer won't spin

Old 03-10-13, 10:30 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore 80 series washer won't spin

I have read through all the posts and what too look for, but my situation is slightly different. The machine agitates but will not spin. The motor runs but no movement in the basket. Many times I will return to see the dial in the off position as if the entire cycle has completed, but the clothes will be soaking wet. If I turn the knob back to the spin cycle sometimes it works, other times it requires a little more.... lets call if force. I had a Marty McFly moment and slammed the lid down in frustration. Upon slamming the lid it immediately began spinning. Does this sound like a faulty lid switch, or something more in depth. Thanks in advance for any help

Old 03-11-13, 05:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Yes it sounds like a bad lid switch
To check lid switch. Find slot in top under lid. Put hand under switch and lift up. Use a pen or small screwdriver and push down on lever with washer in spin. turn on and if washer spins you need a lid switch.

Old 03-11-13, 08:27 AM
N
I appreciate the quick response. Going to test it/fix it today. Will keep you updated.

Old 03-11-13, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 110 Posts
I moved these to it's own thread, since the original thread was so long.
Original thread if someone needs to read: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ml#post2082619

Old 03-13-13, 06:53 PM
H
Kenmore 80 Series Washer Won't Spin

I have the same problem. My Kenmore 80 series washer decided yesterday to fail at the spin cycle leaving the clothes sopping wet.

I saw the lid switch location and used a screw driver yesterday to lightly depress the switch while the lid was up and I could hear the washer trying to drain but the spin cycle would not engage.

I changed the spin dia indicatorl to various other spin locations and all the washer would do was hummm. I shook the washer back and forth thinking it was hung but that didn't cause the spin cycle to engage.

After reading the post above, I put pressure on the lid switch from beneath and depressed it once again from above but still no spin cycle. Just a humming sound. It seems to drain fine just doesn't spin.

I haven't tried running another load.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Henry

Old 03-13-13, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Kenmore 80 series is a generic term. What is your model number ???

Old 03-13-13, 07:17 PM
H
Kenmore Series 80 Washer Model 110 24862300

Well I stand corrected. The washer will not agitate or spin. I just put a small load in to see if the wash cycle was okay and the spin cycle was bad. Neither work. I hear a humming noise.

Thanks in advance,

Henry

Model 110 24862300
Serial Number CP 3506977

Old 03-13-13, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
Thanks for the model number. You machine uses a rubber motor coupler. A very common failure item. You will hear the motor run and nothing would happen. Actually the machine will drain fine.

After clicking on the link below.......click on "view full size" under the illustration and it will open in a new page. Now click on the new illustration and it will be expanded. You can use the cursor and arrow keys to navigate.

The part you will probably need is # 13 in the diagram.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...&prst=&shdMod=

This video shows the actual replacement of the part. In the video they replace the coupler as well as the two drive pieces. You can order all three as a kit.

(Special thanks to Repair Clinic.com ...... their repair videos are first class)
Whirlpool Kenmore Washing Machine Drive Motor Coupler Replacement (720p_H.264-AAC).mp4 - YouTube

Old 03-13-13, 07:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You hear a humming noise not the motor running? If just a humming noise than tilt washer back against wall and unclip water pump from motor (leave hoses on) Pull pump off motor shaft , set washer back down and try in spin. If washer spins you have a sock stuck in water pump, Slight chance of getting it out put most times you will need a pump. If water still in washer use wet dry vacuum to get out, Could be 20 gallons of water in it.

Old 03-25-13, 01:42 PM
M
Trouble reinstalling the gearbox.

Kenmore Model 80, 110.16862503, not spinning. Per pugsi, noticed line of oil drips inside washer. Replaced coupler, clutch and top shaft seal + top cover seal. Everything looks ok per RepairClinic video. However, gearbox will not reinstall up against the support posts so it can be bolted down. Clutch spring opposite side of clutch arm. Any suggestions on how to snug up the gearbox?

Old 03-25-13, 04:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a plastic piece where shaft goes in tub , turn it one way and it will release brake and you can slide brake back up so gearcase will go in. Let us know if that fixes it.

Old 03-25-13, 05:28 PM
M
Trouble reinstalling the gearbox.

Decided to apply more pressure to gearbox ( far more than apparent in RepairClinic video) and finally got the three mounting posts close enough to grab with the three bolts. Tightening the bolts drew up the gearbox til it was flush with the shoulders on the mtg. posts. Washer is spinning again, four loads and counting. Thanks pugsi. Your tips were invaluable!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: