GE Upright Freezer Stopped Freezing - More like a refrigerator

Old 03-12-13, 10:56 AM
Question GE Upright Freezer Stopped Freezing - More like a refrigerator

We have a GE Upright Freezer - Model Number FUF 17DMDRWIH. About 5 years old. It is in the garage - in the midwest.

We recently noticed it isn't really freezing our food. The bag of ice isn't melted - but the ravioli is soft to the touch. It use to freeze rock hard. We unplugged and turned off (kept door open) to let it defrost. Not much liquid came out - then we noticed it was a no frost freezer.

Cleaned dust and dirt out of underneath and behind it. It was really dirty. Made sure we left a few inches from the wall and turned back on. No luck. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-13, 11:21 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 213
Most dedicated freezers are not of the frost free type. That means that they do not defrost on their own and the reason they do that is so the food stays deeply frozen.

Warm moisture laden air is an enemy to fridges and freezers. The air hits the cold evaporator coil and freezes forming ice. A fridge or a fridge/freezer combo is expected to encounter that air since the doors are opened many times throughout the day. So most combo units have a self defrost feature that activates several times a day to defrost the coil.

Since a storage freezer rarely gets opened.....they normally don't use a self defrosting circuit.
Usually you will need to manually defrost the unit by removing the food and packing it in storage chests for several hours until the evaporator coils unthaw. It's a good time to clean the interior also.

If the freezer has a borderline door gasket.... you may not even be able to wait to defrost once a year.

I couldn't locate your model number. Can you double check it.

Old 03-14-13, 11:45 AM
answer to questions

Hi PJMax and thank you for responding. I found a technical data sheet tucked into a slot on the back of the freezer. On the top right side it says "216805500A Upright Frost Free Freezer, 17, 20". It says that an automatic 30 minute defrostin gperiod is initiated after every 12 hours of compressor running time.

We did go ahead and defrost it for two days. No change. I will admit that there was alot of dust and leaves and general dirt under and behind the freezer, as well as alot of boxes on top of it and stuff crammed next to it. WE had about 1-2 " clearance in the back. Now we have cleaned it out and gave it the appropriate clearance but still not freezing.

Old 03-14-13, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
Since you ledt it unplugged for two days..... it should have been completely defrosted.

It could be one of three problems.....

1) low on freon
2) defrost timer is staying in defrost too long.
3) defective thermostat (have you tried setting it to a colder setting)

Can you hear the compressor running ?
Does it seem to run all the time ?

(I know....you aren't sitting there all day listening for it)

Old 03-14-13, 03:52 PM
repair guy then?

Are these things something a repair person should do? What type of repair person do I even call to do this type of work. I hate to call GE directly cause they may be expensive ....

Old 03-14-13, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
A repair technician would put an amprobe (amperage meter) on the compressor to see if it was drawing the proper amount of power. Too low would usually signify low on freon.

Defrost timer would require a manual activation to see if the timing is correct.

I previously asked if you had lowered the thermostat. (set it colder)
Of all the problems.....that would be my guess without actually checking it.

Look in the phone book under large appliance repair.

Old 03-15-13, 10:16 AM
more info

We did set the thermastat lower (colder) only after we noticed it wasn't freezing. Up until then we hadn't touched it.

One thing I forgot to mention, we have noticed that the door itself doesn't seem to have as much suction. It use to sorta pull itself shut and we would hear a noise (almost like suction and something turning on) whenever we shut the door. We do not hear that any more and although it seems to shut tight, it doesn't have that same feeling of being pulled in. And, it is easier to open.