GE electric dryer DLLSR40EG0WW stopped working, will not start.

Old 03-14-13, 05:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE electric dryer DLLSR40EG0WW stopped working, will not start.

Please help. My dryer has been working for almost a year since i've had it. Today I went to switch loads and realized the laundry in it was still wet. Apparently during the drying cycle it stopped and when I tried to restart = nothing! I tested the fuse box first, good. Then the outlet, good. So then the tear down began. I ripped apart the dryer and tested the door switch, outside terminals had continuity with switch depressed. Then I checked the start button, result was the same, continuity with switch depressed. Then I found what I believe was the thermal fuse, it was on the bottom of the dryer and was black with a round switch in the middle, with the switch depressed between com and the other side had continuity. I tried disconnecting one of what I believed was power from the time and that and one of the other timer terminals had continuity on optimal dry mode. What do I check next? I'm at a loss. I have access to anything right now so please help. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-13, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
Welcome to the forums !

I'm on the road but I'll check back when I get in.

In the mean time..... Repair Clinic has some great videos on their site. In the link I left you is a brief discussion of the problem parts but more important is a video on checking electric dryer safety sensors.

Check out the video......stop back with any questions.

GE Dryer Won't Start - Model DLLSR40EG0WW - Repair Parts - RepairClinic.com

Old 03-15-13, 04:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...d=DLLSR40EG0WW
505, 506, 507 and heater element should all have continuity, Any opens and you have bad part.

Old 03-15-13, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the help thus far...I just got home from work and am gonna take a look...much appreciated. Actually...just looking now, I checked those. I"m not sure if the element is my problem because the dryer will not even start at all :0(

Old 03-15-13, 02:22 PM
If it helps...there is no noise coming through and no signs of life when the start is pressed.

Old 03-15-13, 07:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you check the voltage coming into dryer? Should be 240. There is a door switch. belt switch and thermo fuse in motor circuit, Don't have wiring diagram here to check should be one someplace in or on dryer. Thermo fuse is the first thing to check. It is mounted on heater shield.

Old 03-16-13, 10:11 AM
I've checked the outlet-240v, I checked where the plug screws onto the dryer- 240v.....how to do I check how much is getting in beyond that?

Old 03-16-13, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
Did you locate the wiring diagram for the dryer ?
It may be rolled up or on back cover.

Old 03-16-13, 10:29 AM
I don't appear to have a thermal fuse...I have the interlock which has continuity when the button is depressed. This is really starting to bother me...it seems so simple inside, just cant find the problem. Would the timer have anything to do with it? Can it be tested?

Old 03-16-13, 10:42 AM
Group Moderator
Yes the timer is also part of the circuit.

Old 03-16-13, 11:04 AM
Unfortunately no, I got it used about 2 years ago, and not sure if maybe they lost it first. :-/

Old 03-16-13, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
There is no online schematic so I can't walk you thru it. There has to be at least two sensors in and around the element area. One for a safety cutoff and one for heat cycling. There should also be one right near the blower itself. The one near the blower will kill the entire unit.

Look for a switch right on the belt tensioner arm. I don't think yours has the belt safety switch but some GE's do use it.

Old 03-16-13, 01:01 PM
The first picture is the "switch" that I tested. It looks like the tension arm presses the button to make it work. I'm not sure if it is supposed to be normally open or normally closed. The continuity was with the button depressed, I even tried bypassing with alligator clips.

The second picture is my timer. So many wires I couldn't make sense of it.

Attached Images   
Old 03-16-13, 04:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you check the thermo fuse, Look back to diagram I sent will have picture where fuse is. The switch you are looking at is the belt switch and when pulley is pushed down switch closes and works. Never have seen that switch go bad. I would not worry about motor wiring, If motor went bad you would get a hum sound when start button is pushed.

Old 03-17-13, 02:46 PM
on the parts list you sent me, it says "cycling thermostat", would that be the same thing? If it is, I have continuity with 3 of the posts.

Old 03-17-13, 07:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...d=DLLSR40EG0WW
505, 506 and 507 should all have continuity, Complete circuit. don't have wiring diagram in front of me but if any of thermostats have 4 wires to it that is a tempture control thermostat and and most likely ok, heater element also should have continuity.

Old 04-03-13, 12:59 PM
FInally got the diagram.

I finally got the diagram from GE, they emailed it today. So now, how is the best way to trace the problem? Thanks again everybody!

here is the link to the picture.....(take the space out between tiny and pic ) http://i47.tiny pic.com/egk9j.jpg

Old 04-03-13, 03:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could not read diagram came out to blurred. Look for the thermo fuse. Should have continuity.