Side Vent Samsung Dryer

Old 03-20-13, 09:14 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Side Vent Samsung Dryer

I have a Samsung dryer that I want to vent out the side instead of the back so I can push it back up against the wall. Samsung makes a kit to change the vent direction, DV-1A - SIDE VENT KIT FOR DRYER / DV-1A/XAA. It looks like it's just a couple of pieces of ductwork I could buy at a box store for significantly less and probably trim to fit if needed. Anyone have any experience with doing this?

Old 03-20-13, 12:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
Years ago I did that to a dryer. It had the knockouts and I made my own fittings up.

I haven't seen knock outs on the sides of dryers in a long time. I'm surprised that Samsung actually does that.

One reason the kit is pricey is that comes with exhaust parts for every exit direction.
Sure.....you could get the parts yourself and do the same thing but be aware of adding aftermarket parts to your unit.....it may void the manufactures warranty.

Old 03-20-13, 04:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
What we do is get a flexible vent tube from big box store (orange or Lowes) not the soft type and use that yo can make the bends you need. Get some medal tape to tape the joints.

Old 03-20-13, 05:30 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
The only other thing that the kit may include is a cap for the original hole, but I just use the piece that I knock out. If it's somewhat protected, tape it in place with the same foil duct tape that you use on the vent pipe, but if you want to make it a bit more secure, file 3 small matching notches in the dryer and knockout piece, and you can bolt it in place. Maybe not necessary, but I like to cover it back up, particularly if pets are around, but even for errant socks or whatever. Other than that, as the guys said, standard 4" duct and fittings will do the trick; rigid duct, foil tape, and no screws.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: