Whirlpool Washing Machine LSQ8543JQO

Old 03-26-13, 02:23 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Washing Machine LSQ8543JQO

I have a Whirlpool washer, 10 years old, model LSQ8543JQO. Regardless of the settings of the rotary wash selection knob, the machine will fill but not advance. I have to manually move the rotary knob to the drain and spin cycle, which the machine will then do. I have this same problem on any wash setting. The washer will fill but not advance unless I manually move the knob to the drain and spin setting.

I've been following the threads but haven't been able to find my specific problem.

I greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts.

If the rotary knob needs to be replaced on a 10 year old machine it seems better just to buy a new unit rather than spend money on a washer that old.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-13, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,204 Votes on 1,114 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Since you have a different machine with a different problem - I moved your post to its own thread.

You may not have a timer issue.

Let me ask you something. When your machine fills up with water......what happens next ?
Does it just go silent and do nothing at all ?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Old 03-26-13, 02:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Sounds like the timer and I would repair it over a new washer any day, I can bet you will not like the new one's.

Old 03-26-13, 07:45 PM
S
Once the washer fills with water the unit stops. No noise. Nothing running. The same problem happens on all settings. If I advance the timer to the spin and drain setting then the washer will spin and drain. Again, the same issue for all desired types of washes.

Thanks.
Bruce

Old 03-26-13, 08:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,204 Votes on 1,114 Posts
I agree with Don..... a good reliable washer.

It sounds like the water level switch to me. The water level switch supplies the power to the timer and motor once the tub is full.

If you would like to confirm it you would need a voltmeter and know how to use it.

You would need to open the control part of the cabinet. Set the fill to low level. You'll be checking the wires at the fill level control.
While the tub was filling you would measure 120vac between pink(hot) and neutral or ground. After the tub is full and goes quiet.....you should measure 120vac between tan(hot) and neutral or ground.

If the voltage does disappear from pink and re-appear on tan.....the fill switch is ok. Obviously if the voltage doesn't appear on tan then the switch is bad.

Video below shows how to open control section. Just hinges up.....don't disconnect any wiring or plugs. Be careful.....there is 120 volts in the control box.

Whirlpool/ Kenmore Washer Repair video

Old 03-27-13, 12:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Just thought of something how old is washer? If less than 5 years old could have a bad lid switch, About 5 years ago they change requirements and the washer will only fill but not do anything else. If older bad lid switch would only stop spinning.

Old 03-27-13, 10:36 AM
S
Thanks for the suggestions. It will be a few weeks until I'm able to get to the house with this problem washer. I'll make sure I take my volt/ohm box with me. I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again.

Old 05-27-13, 07:30 AM
S
Thanks so much for your help. My problem was the water level switch. I replaced it. The washing machine is now properly advancing through all of the cycles.