Samsung WA6500B5 Washing Machine motor "Buzzes"

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-13, 02:16 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Samsung WA6500B5 Washing Machine motor "Buzzes"

My WA6500B5 washing machine motor buzzes as if it is a 3 phase motor that has lost 1 phase, only that in this case motor still runs.

1. in wash cycle agitator turns fast in anti cw direction but buzzes and barely move in other direction.

2. in rinse cycle, initial agitator movement same as in wash cycle, but after the water drains away, the motor buzzes and drum very slowly picks up speed, in cw direction.

3. in spin cycle, same as rinse cycle, motor buzzes loudly and struggles to pick up speed, and i feel that it does not spin as fast as it used to.

i disconnected the motor (WAS161AUVA/XST) and measured the coil windings resistance. There are 3 connection tabs, and 2 pairs of tabs give 41 ohms and 3rd pair give 81 ohms. Sounds like open circuit on 1 winding? If so is it DIY repairable, like perhaps the wire detached at end? Rewinding is not within my capability.

There is a big 8uf 450vac capacitor nearby. Would a failure of this capacitor cause this problem? Except for a very slight bulge of the bottom black end piece the capacitor has no other sign of damage or leak.

I have also checked the inner drum for binding and does not seem to be.

BTW the machine is about 10 Years old. Will still be a pity to throw away if the problem is something minor that I can fix myself. A busted motor will probably be more than I can handle.

Last edited by DavidLoh; 03-29-13 at 02:18 AM. Reason: add info
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-13, 02:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Model # did not work, Check for a /xaa possible 0? after it. Is this a top loader or front loader? There is a 60 page manual with spec's I don't have now. Open would give no reading but you may have high resistance there.

Old 03-29-13, 08:57 AM
D
The model number is correct. I took a photo of the model number and had just looked at it again to confirm.

As for the resistance measurement, the only way I could think of to get 41,41,82 ohms is if the 3 coils are delta connected. So if 1 coil is open then, when i measure across the 2 ends of the open coil, I get the resistance for the other 2 good coils in series, since all the 3 coils are connected end to end.

If 1 coil has high resistance, I don't think I'll get the odd reading to be exactly twice the other 2 identical readings. You have to use a formula for 2 sets of resistors (the coils) in parallel, and probably all 3 readings will be different.

I am still wondering if a faulty capacitor can cause the problem.

Old 03-29-13, 09:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums from Singapore.

It's going to be difficult to view service info as that machine is not sold in the States.

Does that motor have 5 wires on it ? 2 red, 2 blue and 1 white.
How many total terminals on the motor ?
It also look like a red and blue on the capacitor.

An old capacitor could cause that problem. It's the kind of thing you wouldn't know until you tried it.

Last edited by PJmax; 03-29-13 at 10:10 AM. Reason: additional question
Old 03-29-13, 05:52 PM
D
It's not likely that any appliance sold here would be available in the States due to the different mains voltages. However I suppose there will be an equivalent model and the principal of operation should be the same.

The motor has 3 terminals, and each terminal has a least 2 different coloured wires connected to it. Unfortunately, I did not follow my usual practice of taking photos of everything I work on, so now I am working from memory. But the 3 terminals on the motor I am quite sure of.

The capacitor has red and blue wires connected (colours as I remember them). The wires run through the wire bundle and connect to 2 of the terminals. I will take the capacitor to my work place and check it out as I don't have the meter to do this at home.

One thing that still bugs me is the set of resistance readings I got of the windings. Does any 3 phase motor has readings like X, X, 2X ohms? Just can't figure this one out! Is this motor still good or not? If the motor is still good I will replace the capacitor as soon as possible.

My Home Affairs Minister wants to use the washing machine everyday, so I hope to come to a decision whether to try to repair or get a new machine ASAP.

I can see that the machine is not really doing a good job of washing or rinsing as the tumbling motion is not working properly due the agitator only moving in 1 direction instead of rapidly moving in alternate directions.

Old 03-29-13, 11:35 PM
Group Moderator
I'm pretty sure what I'm showing in the illustration below is what you have there.
Power applied to white and blue is one direction.
Power applied to white and red is the other direction.

The cap is connected across the red and blue wires so that it supplies the winding that is not directly powered for starting. Changing the cap should take care of your problem.

Attached Images  
Old 03-30-13, 04:45 AM
D
I just found a schematic on the inside of the back panel of the machine. Hope this makes it easier to diagnose the problem.

The wire colours at the motor terminals are not very clear.

Terminal 1. Blue from Cap and Blue from PCB
Terminal 3. Red from Cap and Red from PCB
Terminal 2. White from PCB and Yellow to terminal 2 of Drain Motor

Attached Images  

Last edited by DavidLoh; 03-30-13 at 04:57 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-30-13, 11:34 AM
Group Moderator
The yellow wire is the neutral supply to the drain/pump motor. The hot side for the pump comes directly from the PCB.

The circuit is as I drew it. Do you understand the illustration ?

Old 03-31-13, 05:18 PM
D
More or less I understand. So, in your drawing, the upper coil runs in one direction, lower coil in the other direction, and the middle connection, I presume goes to the white wire, which is neutral.

So this is in fact a single phase motor, which I had thought was a 3 phase motor.

I am not very familiar with AC motors, but after reading a bit on the net, I suppose the capacitor is the start cap. Am I correct to say that in spin cycle both the coils are powered and so spin cycle runs faster than wash/rinse cycle, where only the agitator moves.

Does the cap only come into play on the spin cycle, where both coils are active?

As I mentioned earlier, the agitator only moves in 1 direction, and in the other direction it tries to move but the motor just buzzes. So in wash and rinse cycle what I get is, agitator moves quickly in anti cw, no movement in cw, and looking at the contents in the tub, I cannot see the violent tumbling of the clothes as the agitator reverse direction (as it used to). So I don't think my clothes are being washed properly.

Anyway, I will be going to get a new cap later today and give it a try. If it works I save a few hundred dollars, if not I'm off to the appliance store to look for a new machine.

Old 03-31-13, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
In re-reading this thread..... I'm not certain the cap is actually at fault. The motor has two windings, forward and reverse, and the capacitor would affect both windings in the same manner. So if the cap was bad it most likely won't spin correctly in either direction.

I don't know 100% how they control the actual speed of the motor but I suspect it's some type of PWM (pulse width modulation) circuit. Rather then vary the voltage to the motor they would very the frequency of the AC.

Old 04-01-13, 07:20 AM
D
PJmax,

In fact I did think about how come the cap only affected operation in one direction and not the other. Now I think of it I did notice a bit of buzzing, although not as loud, when moving in the other direction, but because the drum seemed to move normally, I did not think too much about the buzzing and did not mention it.

Perhaps the gearing in the transmission is different in one direction, and that reduces the load, allowing the motor to start easier than in the other direction. I don't really know.

In fact you were absolutely right. I bought a new cap for S$14, fitted it, and the instant I put it into spin, I knew the problem was solved. There was no more buzzing and the drum started spinning instantly, picking up speed rapidly to its max speed.

BTW, the old cap was not totally dead. When tested with an analog meter at the shop, it did give a "kick" to the needle but not as much as the new one did. Perhaps the reduced capacitance still have a bit of starting effect.

I have already washed one load and it worked perfectly, good as new. All cycles worked Perfectly!
Absolutely no Buzzing in any direction!

Thank You So Much, your advice saved me a bundle of $$$. Because of your advice, I also avoided throwing away an easily fixed machine and saved a lot of time, not having to go look for a new one.

And, thanks also to all who took the time to respond to my question.

Old 04-01-13, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
You're welcome. That certainly is excellent news.
I'm sure others will run across the problem in the future.

- Pete -

Old 01-18-15, 01:17 AM
W
Need clear photo of wiring diagram

Dear DavidLoh

Though this post is quite old now, but I have similar machine which is giving some trouble. If at all possible for you, could you kindly send me a clear photo of the wiring diagram as the machine I got does not have in on the back panel.

Many thanks!
Best regards
Waseem Khan

Old 01-18-15, 10:05 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

The best way to get in touch with a member is to click on their name, select "private message" and send them a message directly.

If you need help with an appliance.... post the make and model number in a new thread.

Closed Thread