Magic Chef range

Old 04-05-13, 05:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Magic Chef range

Range
Question: QUESTION: I have a Magic Chef oven/range. The numbers are blurry but it looks like model # 351. the two big burners are not workiing well. I have to push the elements in hard to make them work. Often that does not work so I twist them, take them out and put them back in and put them in at different angles. In other words, whatever works. This has happened to this range before and I have gotten either/ and new burners or new sockets for the burners. at least once before on this stove. The stove we had before this did the same thing with the big burners and usually the front one, which we use the most. I get tired of putting in new burners and sockets. Is there a better and easier and cheaper way to do this?

This is not the first time this has happened. We have replaced the burners on this stove twice and the former stove 3 times. It always seems to be the big burners. Whenever I take the burners out I put them in tight. However, sometimes the receptacles seem to be loose or not quite hold the burners in properly and if we move a pan on the burner then it seems to move the burner and then the receptacle. I can replace the receptacle and burner but is there a way to stablilize the receptacle and burner so this will not happen again?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-13, 06:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 259 Votes on 234 Posts
I have problems with the burners and sockets in my rental properties. Usually it's the front burners because they get the most use. One, I think it is how you cook and treat the stove. Some people just put something on the burner and let it sit while others use a heavy cast iron something and love to shake and move it about which is hard on the sockets. Grease is another killer. If you do a lot of frying or use a lot of grease or oil in your cooking keeping the stove and the area under the top and the male plug on the element and female socket clear of grease. It works into the socket and helps loosen their mounting screw and lubricates & insulates the electrical connection all of which end up causing problems.

Old 04-05-13, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 380 Posts
Like Dane said....the front burners get the most use. There isn't really a way around the connection method between the element and the wiring.

Old 04-05-13, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is there a way to secure the mounts on the receptacle so they do not move very much? We do use the large burners the most. We also use cast iron quite a bit but we do not use much grease. We might saute in a couple Tbsp. of oil but not deep frying at all.

Thanks
GB

Old 04-05-13, 10:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 380 Posts
3510PRW would probably be similar to yours.

I have never been a fan of the way some of those electric elements just lay there until you put something on them and they shift or fall in.

Normally, when I change an element that uses a socket..... I change the socket at the same time.

searspartsdirect / Magic-chef-Parts

Old 04-06-13, 06:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 259 Votes on 234 Posts
Unfortunately it's a reoccurring problem on several brands of stoves in my rental houses. The elements just sit there and most are easily bumped and moved around putting stress on the socket which is barely held in place with one tiny screw. Unfortunately there is not much you can do other than replace the socket.

My wife is a gourmet chef and has some monster kitchenware and get get pretty vigorous when cooking. Our long term solution was to switch to gas so the burner is securely mounted to the stove with a heavy cast iron grate to support the pots.