Refrigerator not cooling/freezer not freezing

Old 04-05-13, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Refrigerator not cooling/freezer not freezing

Technician worked on it today for about 2 hrs, tested unit, said it needed freon, added freon, checked for leaks, found a small one, fixed it. Said it would take a few hours for unit to get cold. It's been 4 hrs. and not cold yet, icemaker has not produced any ice as of yet either. Any suggestions? Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-13, 09:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
Jay.....welcome to the forums.

Pretty hard to help you since we have no make or model number.

This is a do-it-yourself help site and as such we don't offer any repair diagnostics on the sealed system as it can only be worked on by a certified technician licensed to work with freon.

If the compressor is running then it could still be a freon issue or the evaporator fan in the freezer may not be running.

It looks the repair tech will be back for a second try.

Old 04-07-13, 11:15 AM
It is a Maytag model #MSD2756GES S/S, I'm thinking fan in freezer/refrigerator are not running, could it be a thermostat? Will be calling repair tech again tomorrow. Thanks, any more ideas?

Old 04-07-13, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
If the compressor is running and you aren't getting any cold air then it's not the thermostat. Your unit has an adaptive defrost board but if that was currently at fault then the compressor wouldn't be running.

You do have a fan in the freezer section that circulates the cold air. It's part # 1 in the pictorial below.

Sear parts direct Maytag-Refrigerator

An excellent video on refrigerator operation.
How It Works: Refrigerators

Old 04-07-13, 07:07 PM
Thanks. According to the tech that was here Fri, unit was low on freon and had a leak somewhere. He supposedly refilled the freon and repaired the leak. This is now Sunday and the unit freezer and fridge have not begun to freeze/cool. I will be calling for service again in the morning, not sure if he will be coming out again to try and rectify the problem, if so, I will mention to him about the fan in the freezer section, but it is blowing air, not cold air, therefore freezer is not freezing and fridge is not cooling. As for the compressor, I assume it's running okay. This has been going on since late Tues., didn't notice the problem til Weds. as I went to put the milk I had just purchased in the fridge. Called early Thurs. for service, someone came out and observed the unit, said it was a freon problem and as I said someone else came out on Friday. Obviously, whatever the tech was doing for 2+ hrs. did not resolve the problem. Guess I'll just hope I can get some answers tomorrow. Thanks again.