Oven door 'locked' and won't open

Old 04-06-13, 08:31 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oven door 'locked' and won't open

I set my electric Viking oven to bake but the 'lock' light came on instead of the 'bake' light and the door will not open. I unplugged it for a while and it still will not open. It is 20 years old. The lock light comes on during the 'self cleaning' phase. Any ideas?

Old 04-07-13, 01:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,348 Votes on 1,246 Posts
The latch is a motor driven lock. It's been known to do some unexpected things. You could try putting the oven to clean and then back to off. Try that several times. You could also initiate a clean cycle and when it's finished it should unlock.

Otherwise you will need to manually get to the latch to release it. It's behind two access covers in the front of the range by the lock slot.

Old 04-07-13, 11:04 AM
S
Thanks PJmax. I have food in the oven so I really don't want to start the clean cycle except as a last resort. How do I get to the lock slot?

Old 04-07-13, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 110 Posts
I have a different stove and it's gas, however, that happened to me once, and what worked was to hold the "start" or the "clear" button down for about a minute, to reset it. Don't remember which button I pressed or maybe both, but worth a try, can't hurt. Unplugging it didn't help.

Old 04-07-13, 12:00 PM
Group Moderator
Unplug the unit.
You have to remove the grates and the top parts of the range.
Remove the main electrical control cover which should be in the center of your range. Goes from front to back.
There is another small access plate in the front with screws that you will need to open to get to the latch assembly.
Use a long screwdriver to slide the latch.

Attached Images  
Old 04-08-13, 02:45 PM
S
I finally got the door open. My latch does not look like the one in the picture but that does not matter. Now that I got the door open and took the food out, I wanted to re-create the problem. I set the oven to bake and temp to 400. After about 10 minutes the top of the stove was extremely hot (much more than normal). I am assuming the temp went much higher than 400 which is why the lock engaged. I will confirm by using an oven thermometer but does this sound like a problem with the thermostat? If it is the thermostat is it worth fixing or is it time for a new oven. This one is 22 years old.

Old 04-08-13, 11:08 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry.....since you didn't originally post a model number I used the most popular latch.

You can leave the model number and we can investigate the parts availability. As far as if it's worth it......tough decision. I know they are fairly expensive units and built to last. Especially with the vintage of yours.

I guess if it's in good shape and been relatively problem free it would probably be worth repairing.

Old 04-09-13, 01:42 PM
S
I wish I could find the model #. It is no where to be found on the unit, unless it is behind the back panel. Unfortunately I can't find the owner's manual. Thanks for your advice.

Old 04-09-13, 08:53 PM
Group Moderator
Usually the model number is on the frame inside where the oven door closes.

You can go to the site below and maybe match one by sight.

Used Viking ranges

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: