Moving a washing machine

Old 04-22-13, 08:55 PM
Moving a washing machine

I need to move a washing machine using my SUV truck.

There is not enough room to load the washer upright. Is it OK to lay it down sideways?

I know for refrigerators you should always move it upright? Is this the case with washers? Will the tub be affected it laid down sideways and may run over a few road bumps along the way?

Also, I assume there is still going to be some water left in the drain outlet of the washer from the last load washed. How much water is there? Is it good enough to shove a dry rag into the drain outlet, or do I need to almost turn the washer upside down for it to rid of all the residue water? I don't want the water to leak out inside my SUV when I lay it down.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-13, 09:22 PM
Group Moderator
It should be ok.

The tub in a washer floats on springs. If I had to transport it on its side...... I would try to shim between the tub and the cabinet so that the tub won't break the springs. One shim on the side that will be down should be sufficient.

There will be water left in the drain hose and the tub. It would be pretty hard to turn the unit upside down. Maybe try laying it on its side on the ground to empty the water first.

Old 04-23-13, 02:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Makes a big difference in what type of washer and brand on weather you can lay on side or back. Standard Whrilpool top loaders will sometimes come off the plate the tub sits on and is a real pain to repair. Post make and model # please.

Old 04-23-13, 08:06 AM
It's a Kenmore Elite, top load washer. I think it is 8 years old, but unused and in storage for at least 7 years.

Old 04-23-13, 01:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
good washer do not lay it down, That is the one with the plate.50% chance of plate gettin g out of position.

Old 04-23-13, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
Maybe if the tub is locked somehow? Shims or rubber of some sort? What say you pugsl?

Hmm...unused new in the box? Don't they have locking pins or something that need to be removed before install? I know my dishwasher had them.

Old 04-23-13, 01:41 PM
A locking pin, bolt, or something like that was what I was trying to remember as well, but can't put my finger on it. I'm something like 99% sure that the Speed Queen washer and/or dryer that we bought a couple of years ago had one, and sort of recall somehing similar on one that I hooked up for Habitat a couple of years ago, but have also hooked up others for them that I'm equally sure didn't have anything like that. Point being though, regardless of how it is transported, I would look in the owner's manual to see if they indicate taking one out before putting it in service, and if so, put it in before moving it. Regarless of that though, I would be looking for a buddy with a pickup or trailer before risking laying down an almost brand new one.

Old 04-24-13, 02:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Whrilpool washers use a pull out yellow tape, When installed new pull out tape and shipping pins drop out and can not be reused.1 Idea is to rent a 20.00 dollar truck from Lowes or HD and transport that way.

Old 04-24-13, 05:47 AM
I just transported and installed (again this year) an LG top load.
LG used a styrofoam insert to hold the tub in place at the top, and a plastic piece on the bottom of the unit. I do not know how their tubs are connected, so I can't comment further.