Kenmore/Frigidaire fridge not cooling

Old 04-30-13, 06:17 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore/Frigidaire fridge not cooling

ok guys, a little help/guidance would be appreciated. was reading through various threads, this problem seems to be unique

one day, noticed things in the freezer thawing, fridge and freezer got warm and stayed like that

initial checks: back comparment(underneath) extremely dirty, cleaned it up. condenser fan and evaporator fan (in freezer) running fine, lights on, powered up. Compressor does not seem to be running.

checked compressor leads with ohmmeter, seem to add up correctly and no shorts to ground. removed relay switch, seemed to be rattling, and seemed to fail ohmeter tests. run capacitor seemed fine.

replaced relay, when fridge turns on, still only blows warm air, compressor seems to be vibrating, but only slightly and does not get warm/hot.

what other tests can I do, and how, with voltmeter etc.???

could this be defrost timer, can I bypass it to troubleshoot?? this model seems simple, I dont believe there are complex electronics, boards, etc.

also tried extension cord to another outlet, no help.

parts guy suggested hard start kit? would this help?? any advice, greatly appreciated. (model number available if needed. fridge is almost 10 yrs old)

also: relay replaced with 241524606, not exacly like 218721120 (original) but from frigidaire and very similar and supposed to be compatible,

Last edited by jack_bg; 04-30-13 at 07:05 PM. Reason: age
Old 04-30-13, 11:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
run capacitor seemed fine.
Seemed fine ?

The defrost timer shuts off the compressor AND the condensor fan. Is the fan running ? I would say yes if the compressor is humming.

Hard start cap...... I've never used one on a fridge before.

Do you have an amprobe ? Check the compressor amperage draw.

A model number is always helpful too.

Old 05-01-13, 08:01 AM
J
Seemed fine ?
seemed to behave correctly checking voltage and resistance. ie. charging and discharging

since condenser fan is running, this looks to still be pointing at relay / compressor, correct??

Ampprobe?? I have an AMP setting on my multimeter, i can run that in series between the relay and compressor (dont think it would be easy), if thats what you mean.

anything else I can check or try???

KENMORE 970-678124
corresponding frigidaire model no. Frigidaire GLHT186TA (very similar)

Old 05-01-13, 12:23 PM
J
wanted to stresss, not many sounds, no clicking, or cycling, or sounds or audible humming. just slight vibrating to the touch, then when unplugged sort of bigger vibration as if coming to a stop.

Old 05-01-13, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
If the compressor was working....the tubing between it and the tubing in the bottom of the fridge (condensor) would be warm to hot. There would be a second smaller line leaving the compressor that could be insulated and should be cold to the touch.

I use a clip on amprobe to see what the compressor is drawing. That tells me if it's compressing or just hanging out and not doing much of anything.

Old 05-01-13, 04:03 PM
J
no, both tubes room temperature, only activity i notice is when I unplug it, the compressor and condeser assembly shakes.

I dont have an AMPPROBE, anything else I can try, can the relay be bypassed temporarily??

also relay gets hot during operation

Last edited by jack_bg; 05-01-13 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-02-13, 03:07 AM
Group Moderator
If the compressor is making noise then it sounds like it's not the relay. You can bypass it momentarily.

At this point..... it sounds like the compressor is bad or you lost the freon charge. Without being able to test the current draw of the motor we can only guess.

Old 05-02-13, 09:04 AM
J
ok thanks!!

the compressor is not making sounds, cant hear anythting, only feel a slight vibration by hand and a slightly stronger one when I kill the power.

does this mean its the compressor??? can a compressor pass the resistance/short tests and still be bad??

Old 05-02-13, 01:23 PM
J
specific question, doent the relay being warm or hot, and the compressor is not, mean that the compressor is drawing current but not starting.

ie. this is a PTC relay, so the fact that it is hot is going to cut power to the start coil, and shows that current is being drawn by the run coil???

also, does the vibration coming from the compressor after unplugging indicate the compressor was running, but since it is not hot and not creating cool mean the refrigerant is gone, ie leak???

Last edited by jack_bg; 05-02-13 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-02-13, 10:04 PM
Group Moderator
also, does the vibration coming from the compressor after unplugging indicate the compressor was running,
After you unplug the compressor it make noise ? Like immediately after you remove power or some time later ?

Old 05-02-13, 10:11 PM
J
Immediattely after unplugging it vibrates, i can feel it with my hand, like shaking then stops. No noise though.

Old 05-04-13, 11:39 AM
J
tried again with capacitor from garage fridge, still not working

gonna assume its a compressor seize/refrigerant issue.

anyway new fridge on the way but am really curious about the failure, if anyone has any ideas, i would like to know'

thanks again PJmax

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: