Amana refrigrator-Refrigerator not staying cold

Old 04-30-13, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Amana refrigrator-Refrigerator not staying cold

I have an Amana refrigerator model ABD2533DES that is about 10 years old. The refrigerator will not stay cold, but the freezer is fine. It seems I am getting an "ice dam" in the vent that runs from the freezer to the fridge compartment. This happened 6 months ago, and I replaced the defrost thermostat. I ran a continuity test on the defrost heat element at that time and it passed. The fridge worked fine up until 3 weeks ago, and the vent was ice dammed again. At that time I just let the unit defrost and started it back up. I think it is getting another ice dam in the vent since I feel very little air coming out of the vent in the fridge compartment. My question is whether you think it is just another bad defrost thermostat, or is there a issue in the electonic contol panel/board that needs to be looked at on this specific model.

Old 04-30-13, 09:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,982 Votes on 2,690 Posts
An ice dam could actually mean that the unit is defrosting but the water is not draining.
After this ice dam formed.....was the evaporator coil completely iced up or just one area ?

For the most part....the control boards are pretty reliable. They are also expensive so you don't want to change it unless you're sure it's bad.

There are several thermistors (sensors) that monitor the freezer and fridge temps. One of those could also be bad. They go bad more often the the control board.

I would check the defrost heater and defrost thermostat before going any further.

Also check and make sure the evaporator fan is working.

Also make sure the condensor coil (under fridge) is clean. Needs to be vacuumed of all dust.

Old 05-01-13, 03:32 AM
at the time I replaced the defrost thermostat the entire coil was iced up. I have not taken it apart this time to verfy the same condition, but I am getting frrost build up across the entire back of the freezer.

Old 05-01-13, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
When you say ice dam, is this dam solid, mostly clear ice or is it white and frosty.
Clear ice would suggest that the coil is defrosting but the water is unable to drain away.
Frosty ice might indicate the evaporator is not defrosting or defrosting fully.

In addition to what PJ has suggested you might want to look at the evaporator coil after it has been defrosted to see if after running awhile that the normal frosting while running is even across the whole evaporator.
Sometimes a low refrigerant condition will cause defrost problems.

Old 05-04-13, 09:45 AM
Had the repair guy come yesterday. ended up being a bad contol board.

Old 05-04-13, 10:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,982 Votes on 2,690 Posts
Thanks for the update.

Keep in mind..... some problems can appear to be a bad control board. Keep your receipt handy in case the board did not repair the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: