zanussi fridge, freezer cold fridge warm

Old 05-04-13, 06:04 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation zanussi fridge, freezer cold fridge warm

i got a small zanussi fridge with two compartments. the model is zd/19. after transporting it to another place a problem occurred. the freezer is cold with no ice forming but the food compartment is hot. is somewhere between 10 to 13 celcius when its supposed to be 5 or even lower. i have attached a pic of the fridge from the manual. its a user manual. i cant find the service manual anywhere. the compressor works ok, i can listen to it. the coils on the back are clean. the water located on the food compartment is not blocked since over time little water runs.
setting the thermostat to 3-4 is useless, setting it to the highest point will only reach 10 celcius, no lower then that. first of all does my fridge have an evaporator fun behind the freezer ? i tried to find a way to open the freezer compartment but there doesn't seem a way to do it, or at least i cant find it. the first pic attached is a pic of the fridge found on google. if you look at the freezer it doenst seem to have any access points to open it.
on the third pic is the compressor of the fridge where some water normally gathers at the top white part.
what could be the problem ?
thanks
Name:  fridge.jpg
Views: 16532
Size:  36.1 KB Name:  15.jpg
Views: 14907
Size:  27.3 KB

Attached Images  
Old 05-04-13, 08:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I have been lucky a few times fixing fridges by figuring out that the defrost heater failed. It will be located on the evaporator. I can't tell where it is by the picture, but I would suspect it is in the freezer compartment, maybe on the bottom. Once you get at it you can ohm out the heater.

Old 05-04-13, 09:58 AM
E
questions

hi and thanks for replying.
i have to ask you a couple of things.
did the fridges that had their defrost heater failed had the same symptom as mine ? and do you thing there is a chance i will need to remove the coil from the back of the fridge or i should look for a way to dismantle the freezer ? cause the freezer looks like as if its one piece. thanks

Old 05-04-13, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,348 Votes on 1,246 Posts
How did you transport it ?

If not standing up then you are supposed to allow 24 hours before turning on after moving to allow the oil in the sealed refrigeration system to drain back to the compressor.

That unit may use a cold plate system where the coil is attached to the back wall of the fridge and freezer. There would be no evaporator fan or defrost system.

On edit: Where did you get that model number. ZD usually means a dishwasher. ZR would be a fridge. Look for an actual manufacturers plate.

Old 05-04-13, 12:37 PM
E
as far as i remember it was transported standing upright and waited alittle bit till we plug it in. the models spec are here > Zanussi ZD 19/5 BO - Tech-specs the model zd 19/5 bo .
as i said on my previous post the freezer compartment seems to be sealed in way, i cant find a way to open it and see whats happening inside. but if it had any problem with the oil would it freeze the freezer ? the thing is it freezes the freezer as it did but barely affects the food compartment. could it be the thermostat ? i searched and came up with this model > Ranco K59H2805 . and here is on ebay >Kühlschrankthermostat Thermostat K59H2805 VI112RANCO U A AEG Bosch Siemens | eBay seems like the whole range of same size zanussis are built the same way as this. also as i can see in the manual here it refers to a "cooling plate" Name:  m1.jpg
Views: 8240
Size:  54.6 KB and on the othe rpart it states that it has no "automatic defrosting" Name:  m2.jpg
Views: 8138
Size:  49.8 KB i hope this info will help...

Last edited by epsavit; 05-04-13 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-04-13, 12:57 PM
Group Moderator
The only way to know if it's the thermostat is by using a thermometer. The freezer should be 0 degrees F (17.78 c).

When you look at the back of the freezer and the back of the fridge......do you see the outlines of pipes in the metal ? Like in the picture.

Name:  cold plate.jpg
Views: 9136
Size:  20.4 KB

Old 05-04-13, 01:14 PM
E
the temperature is as you stated. everything inside the freezer is frozen like its supposed to be. on the back there is the coil, thats outside of the fridge wall. and the fridge wall is smooth, not like the one on your picture. you can see the back of the fridge on my first picture from the manual, the diagram.
thanks for the help

Old 05-04-13, 01:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
did the fridges that had their defrost heater failed had the same symptom as mine ?
Yes, exactly. That is why I think it might be your issue. The evaporator gets block by frost so air can't get to the fridge compartment.

and do you thing there is a chance i will need to remove the coil from the back of the fridge or i should look for a way to dismantle the freezer ?
The coil on the back is not what you want to mess with. The one top freezer fridge that I fixed (the other was a side by side) you had to remove the "floor" of the freezer and the compartment for the evaporator was there. IIRC there was only a few screws that had to be removed.

Old 05-04-13, 01:20 PM
E
the thing is when i plug it in it doesn't cool the food compartment and then after a while warm it. it never cools !!! so if frost was the case wouldn't it cool in the beginning since frost need a little time to form ? just wondering...

Old 05-04-13, 01:49 PM
Group Moderator
Tolyn.... this is a very basic fridge. There is no conventional evaporator. It uses the cold plate system. If you look up several posts you'll see the picture I left. The evaporator is actually stamped into the aluminum back wall.

Usually with the cold plate system....there are a lot of stamped "pipes" in the freezer and only a few in the fridge. In your case you're telling us the back wall of the fridge is smooth. Does the back wall get cool/cold at all ?

I'm confused as to why this unit needs a drain line if it's a non defrost model. There must be a tray somewhere in the fridge where the drain line comes from. Is there anything removable in the top of the fridge section ? Any screws ?

Old 05-04-13, 02:12 PM
E
if you see the first picture on my first post, the front-back diagram, number 1 is the cover and number 18 on the two corners , top-back, is a kind of a screw to secure the "drainer"... the back wall is neither cold or hot, it is plastic and insulated...

Old 05-04-13, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
There has to be something to cool the fridge. If the back is plastic.... then it's not the cold plate. There must be some way to get air from the freezer to the fridge.

Is the top of the fridge/bottom of the freezer cool or cold ? (The piece between the fridge and freezer)

Does the compressor run all the time ?

I was reading the users manual and it appears that the cold plate is at the top of the fridge.
The plate defosts by itself every time the compressor shuts off and the temperature rises inside the fridge.

Old 05-04-13, 02:26 PM
E
the bottom of the freezer is cold just like every side of it, nothing changed in that part , the top of the food compartment is cold but not like it is supposed to be. the freezer is 4 Celcius below zero, just had the thermometer in. but thats not always the the case. tempretures fluctuate. sometimes during the day the fridge is cool, sometimes like now get a bit colder. its never steady.
the compressor doesnt run all the time even when i set the thermostat to the highest number. it works for some time, stops and after some time does the same cycle...
also i had a repair men to have a look but without even touching it he said : thats just the way they are.. no comment on his professionalism

Last edited by epsavit; 05-04-13 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-05-13, 04:56 AM
E
right now the freezer is -25 celcius and the top of the food compartment is just cool but the bottom of the food compartment is way more colder then the top !!! could it be a problem with the door of the fridge not closing correctly ? especially on top ?

Old 05-05-13, 08:55 AM
J
It looks like you have a manual defrost refrigerator that has lost its charge. It has no evap. fan and no defrost system I.E. timer and defrost heater. Check the condenser on the back after running it for 5 minutes. The condenser should be nice and warm all the way to the dryer which should also be warm. The return line to the compressor should be cool to the touch. The discharge line should be very warm. The discharge line is the smaller of the two lines on the compressor. Often the lower compartment gets too warm when the light switch is not engaging. You can tell this by closing the door slowly and observing the light. Does the light go out at all? In your case it appears that your unit has lost its freon charge. Not worth fixing!

Old 05-05-13, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
Yes.....it could be the door seal. Picture your fridge like an ice chest. Only a limited amount of cooling. You need to conserve all the cold. Since cold air is heavier ....the cold air drops from the cold plate to the bottom of the fridge.

You may have racked/twisted the fridge itself when you moved it and the door isn't closing tight. You can use a bill or a strip of paper. Put it in between the door and the gasket. Close the door. There should be tension..... the bill should be hard to pull out.

You may also have a bad thermostat. You have a remote reading sensor bulb if the thermostat you displayed above is the type your fridge uses. If the thermostat is reading the freezer temp it may cycle since the freezer is cold. If the thermostat is reading the fridge temp it should not cycle since your fridge temp is staying high.

I can only give you basic troubleshooting info since I don't have access to the service manual for it.

Old 05-06-13, 09:07 AM
E
monitoring details

i spend the last day monitoring the behavior of the fridge.
the compressor doesnt run continuously. the walls of the fridge on the outside are cold except the back wall which is insulated. when the compressor works its hot.
The inside walls of the fridge are cool, except from the back wall which is cold and some ice forms on it as you can see in the following pic !!! Name:  pic-4.jpg
Views: 8559
Size:  20.8 KB

pic1 is the freezer and there is no way to remove any of its walls, seems to be compact. pic 1 Name:  pic1.jpg
Views: 8193
Size:  8.9 KB

pic 2 is the general view from the back. the black coil which runs on the outside , and you can see both its two ends on the right of the pic is hot, not warm, but hot only when the compressor works. pic2Name:  pic2.jpg
Views: 17206
Size:  51.7 KB

pic three is a closeup of the left side and its two coils. coil number one goes out from the compressor and it seems to be going up on the fridge. it is cool and sometimes a bit cold but only when the compressor works. coil number two which seems to be going out of the fridge is warm when the compressor works (and sometimes tends to be hot) . pic3Name:  pic3.jpg
Views: 11259
Size:  36.4 KB

if it would be lack of freon would it work like this ?
the light of the fridge goes out when the door is closed, i checked that. the door seal creates just a little bit of tension, a piece of paper would slide easily, nothing compared to the freezer seal which is strong.

Old 05-06-13, 10:49 PM
Group Moderator
Everything sounds like it's working normally. Make sure the fridge is leveled and that it's not racked. It's important that the door seal correctly.

Name:  pic-4.jpg
Views: 8002
Size:  33.9 KB

Old 05-07-13, 02:49 AM
E
coclusion

thanks for the replies, it must be the door seal as you stated as it seems to be the only weak link in the chain of hardware parts. i'll change it and let you know about the result, thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: