Need Wiring Schematic for Kenmore refrigerator model 1068559281

Old 05-04-13, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Wiring Schematic for Kenmore refrigerator model 1068559281

I have an electrical short that I am trying to trace down in this refrigerator. I know it is the small black wire that runs up throught the bottom of the freezer, but I do not see any black wires behind the back panel of the freezer. If you have a schematic you can post for me that would be great. Then I can determine what part is shorting out.

Old 05-04-13, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,977 Votes on 2,686 Posts
The schematic should be somewhere on the unit. Possibly on or behind access cover on the back. Could also be under front toe plate. Sometimes in an envelope. Sometimes rolled up.

Old 05-04-13, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
Searsparts has helpful exploded views of appliances. Yours seems to be a basic thermostat controlled unit.....not a newer all electronic type with sensors all over the place.

Searsparts /Kenmore-Parts/Refrigeratorl-1068559281/0582/0160000

A wire running into/thru heater area could be used for defrost heater or evaporator fan.

Old 05-04-13, 10:35 AM
Well I can't find the wiring diagram anywhere on/in the fridge. Using the process of elimation it appears to be the defrost timer located in the refrigerator compartment. With the small black wire connected and the wire harness to the timer disconnected the fridge doesn't short circuit the GFI outlet when I plug it in.

Old 05-05-13, 04:41 PM
Need more help

Upon further investigation it appears the defrost heater is shorting out against the evaporator coil. The heater is held in place with 4 metal z-clips that attach to the evaprator fins and then the heater element is snapped in on the other end of the clip. The heater is held up in place with a metal bracket that is bent back on the bottom of the evaporator to support the heater.
I ran a continuity test on the heater and it passed. I then plugged the heater back in to the electrical ports to and hung it across the plastic shelf brackets so it was not touching any metal. The unit did not short circuit on this test. So my question is how the defrost heater works. Have the support clips rubbed a spot on the heater that is causing it to short circuit? Do I need to replace the heater, or can I move the z-clip supports to a different location? I don't mind buying a new heater as long as it is not going to short circuit when attached to the z-clips and evaporator fins. Seems like there must be some sort of coating on the outside of the heater to keep it from short circuiting on the evaporator.

Old 05-05-13, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
The defrost heater element is bad. It has developed an internal short. The outside metal jacket should NOT be live. It doesn't need to be insulated from the evaporator coil.

You didn't originally mention that you had a GFI tripping or I would have told you to check the heater from the start.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: