Samsung Fridge is too cold in the freezer

Old 05-24-13, 11:02 AM
Samsung Fridge is too cold in the freezer

I have a 6 month old Samsung two door 26 cu ft fridge model number RS261M.
Adjusting the LED display for minimum lights (one on) seems to have little effect on the temperature inside the freezer.
When we take ice cream out for example we have to microwave a full container for 30 seconds or more to get it even close to where you can use a metal spoon to dish some up.
Placing a thermometer in the freezer is showing a temperature of less than 0 F.
I have never had a freezer so cold in my life that could not be adjusted.
Is there an adjustment somewhere I can access myself or would I just be better off to call Samsung and try a warranty service?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-13, 11:01 AM
Group Moderator
Check freezer and fridge temp. You tried turning down freezer temp with no change. Now try turning down fridge temp and see if that makes any changes.

You should have at least a one year service warranty from Samsung too.

Old 05-25-13, 11:49 AM
On this particular unit you can set the temperatures independently for the freezer in the refrigerator. I have the refrigerator set for ideal yet the freezer is at -10 roughly. And with the adjustment LED on the front of the refrigerator on the lowest setting indicating that it should be at a higher temperature closer to 32 it still at that -10.

I did call Samsung warranty repair and talk to them about the problem as the unit is 6 months old and it's been that way since I've had it.
Much to my surprise, Samsung is sending a contract repair/warranty service man to our house this afternoon.
It really surprised me that they are sending somebody out on a Saturday afternoon on Memorial Day weekend.
I certainly cannot complain about calling for warranty repair late yesterday afternoon and having a service call the following day.
I just hope this is repairable.

Old 05-25-13, 12:01 PM
Group Moderator
If it's not repairable then they will be replacing it.

Old 05-25-13, 01:13 PM
I have to assume it's repairable.
I have had a lot of refrigerators in my time and never seen a problem like this one from the factory.
I worried about the 8 LED lights on the front of the fridge that adjust the temperature when they told me that each one would do about 2 or so to make it right for you.
The one for the Fridge works fine but it's as if the median point for adjustments on the freezer is a long ways from correct.
Maybe a board or something needs replaced, who knows?
I just want to get it fixed while it's still in warranty.

Old 05-25-13, 01:16 PM
Group Moderator
If I had to offer an opinion without looking the unit up.....I'd say it's a stuck air damper.

A control board or sensor could also be at fault.

Old 05-25-13, 01:20 PM
I will agree with you with one exception. If the damper were stuck why would the fridge maintain a perfect (my opinion) 38 right in the middle of the adjustment of the lights?
I thought the damper allowed air to flow from the freezer to the fridge to cool it.
But I suppose it could be stuck in a middle position not allowing enough flow from the freezer??
Then again what do I know??

Old 05-25-13, 01:45 PM
Group Moderator
Technically since there is only one compressor only one thermostat actually controls it. In some it's the freezer and some it's the fridge. With multiple dampers strange things can happen.

Old 05-25-13, 02:03 PM
Like I said~~what do I know???
It is interesting to learn about things though as time goes on.
I just hope this is a one time problem while in warranty.
As it's been this way since we bought it new in November of last year I assume it had the problem from the factory or perhaps had some type of shipping damage.
Oh well, with any luck they will keep their appointment in the next 3 hours and it will be fixed.

Old 05-25-13, 06:20 PM
Well the contracted repair rep was here, verified that all seemed well except the freezer temp and said he suspected I needed a thermistor.
But he could not order is as Samsung screwed the repair order up to them and showed the box as purchased in 2008 and to collect for the work.
I showed him my receipt and he called his company and they had to cancel the repair order and I have to call Samsung warranty repair again!
Not happy!!!!!

Old 05-25-13, 06:58 PM
I just got off the phone with Samsung. They claimed they did not have the date of purchase nor did they have the serial number. What a crock, I provided all that information to them yesterday and the date of sale in 11/2012 and verified this was covered under warranty.
So what do you have to do today with people, do their job for them??
Not happy at all.
So I gave them all that information again and called the same contract outfit back and told them not to even bother sending a tech to my home without the thermistor in hand to do the repair. The scheduled the repair for next Wed now.
This is simple however, if they fail to do what they should this time I will have it repaired at my cost and take Samsung to small claims court for the repair costs should they fail to reimburse me.
But this has sort of soured me on Samsung customer service, or lack of it.

Old 05-25-13, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
I was going to mention it earlier that you should have addressed this problem when it was new. It doesn't change anything at this point but depending on where you purchased the fridge..... it may have been exchanged.

Unfortunately what you experienced with Samsung is becoming more common. As servicing is being outsourced more issues are developing.

AS far as trying to collect from Samsung in small claims court.... I wouldn't count on it.

Hopefully the repair will go smoothly on Wednesday.

Old 05-26-13, 05:43 AM
Yes I should have had the box worked on when I got it or maybe exchanged it. I was just lazy about getting it done. But when we moved into this house we found the box that was here no good. We knew it was small for our needs but we did not know it had problems cooling. We were so busy unpacking and doing all the other things you have to do when you move we did not notice a problem. Then that was winter and we don't each much ice cream then anyway and frankly I did not notice there was a problem until around Match I guess. Then I tried adjusting it a step at a time and watching the temperature inside the freezer and fridge as I did.

As they clearly failed to document the repair property as an under warranty item in the first place that resulted in my first house call being canceled. The repair company told me that they supplied a date of purchase as 2/2008 but the box was manufactured in 10/2012 and I bought it in 11/2012. Samsun also did not include the serial number that I gave them at their request which would have also told the repair company it was under warranty in the system according to the tech. At least the tech told me what was wrong and what part was needed but he could not order it as he would had had to collect for the call and the part due to Samsung's error now showing the unit under warranty. He did not want to due that and leave me holding the bag to get reimbursed. (Well maybe that and he knew he was going to get another service call out of this deal)

I am pretty good in small claims court. I have been there 9 times so far Been sued once and they did not collect from me and the other 8 times that I sued I won.
In some states they must send a pre to court and if they don't they lose automatically. Here a letter is sent to them for an explanation and if the court makes a decision as to who is right or wrong.
I have taken on some huge corporations and won.
By the way, the sub contractor gave me documentation that the call was not dispatched correctly as under warranty, the date of purchase was wrong and the serial number was not provided.
Small claims court is a great venue for the individual if you use it right and know what you need to prove.

By the way when I talked to Samsung again, this time with a customer service supervisor, I chewed them out for not documenting the fact that it was in warranty, the purchase date, and the serial number. All of that was information they ask me for in the original call and according to their sub contractor would normally have been supplied to them on the trouble ticket number. For all I know I was talking to someone in a foreign country who is just another sub contactor for customer service like so many other companies have done over the last 20 years or so.
Overall in my opinion CS has really gone downhill

All that being said, I am hoping that this contractor outfit shows with the part in hand to fix the problem as they said they would. I would hate to see another service call by anyone and then have to wait for the part and another service call~again.

Old 05-26-13, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would not think the part will be with the tech unless it is already on his truck. If like are area almost all Samsung parts have to be ordered.

Old 05-26-13, 01:51 PM
I kind of doubt it too and the tech indicated as much.
But the sub contractor said that he would have the part in time for the repair on Wed.
If he shows without it on Wed he won't be admitted to my home as I have already told them that.
At that point I will have it repaired myself and recover later.

Old 05-29-13, 05:52 PM
OK, well here it is Wed. The tech did not show. No call, nothing.
I called the sub contractor they use, A & E Factory Service and get this~~this claim I had no appointment today at all!
I called Samsung and told them I was more than upset. They transferred me to "executive services" which of course means that I need special treatment now. They screwed it up once by a non warranty repair and A & E failed to even show up~~I suspect because they did not have the part yet, but they denied that I even had an appointment today! I told Samsung that this next attempt would be number 3 and the last and I would have the box repaired by anyone I can find locally and they would reimburse me as I am tired of waiting around for a repairman. The first one was supposed to be here from 1-5. No phone call, nothing, and they showed at 5:45 PM of all things.
And "executive services" told me that they think I am correct in that A & E sends the part to me and if I did not have it they could not do the repair. So they most likely canceled my appointment knowing the part did not show it was delivered.

So I called A & E back with a new ticket number for repair as they closed out the other one totally.
The tentative appointment for repair this time was Friday and I told them I needed a thermistor and it was useless to send a tech here without it.
They then told me that they would order the part and when I got it to let them know and they would come out and repair it.
Worst record of service calls ever so far.
I told Samsung that if this does not fix the problem I will have it repaired on my $ and they can pay the bill or answer in small claims court.

Old 05-29-13, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
You can't make this stuff up

Old 05-30-13, 06:14 AM
Sad as it is you are correct.
This has to be several levels above the worst customer service we have ever had.

Old 05-31-13, 04:21 PM
Well today I got a call from a sub contractor tech that was scheduled he says by Samsung to come out today and fix my box. Of course his paperwork says it's out of warranty and he will have to collect.
This is the call that Samsung set up Wed. night after the tech did not show with the part for repair and then I was told I had no appointment at all and they had to order the part (which had still not been done) and to call them back when I get it.
This call today was supposed to have been canceled and yet again within the same week Samsung has a 3rd ticket number assigned to my service call, still out of warranty.
I called Samsung and gave them 1 week to get this repair done. They called the subcontractor and said the box is now shown as under warranty with the sub and that the part will be at my house on Tuesday and to call the sub back when I get it so they can schedule the tech to my house for the repair.

Old 05-31-13, 06:51 PM
By the way, it's apparent to me that Samsung is not even aware of what's going on and maybe they don't even care.
It's obvious at this point that their Customer Service number is a contractor as are their sub contractor repair stations, neither one of which has the ability to communicate in the English language nor do they care about the customer.

Never ever purchase a Samsung product or you too may have your own story to tell.

Old 05-31-13, 11:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Reason the tech's that call and call is not set up right and needs to collect. Most manufactures will not pay the co. for the call even if they set it up wrong. Getting to be a real problem. We will not go to some manufactures on warranty calls because of no pays.

Old 06-01-13, 06:54 AM
It's becoming more apparent to me that neither the Customer Service people nor the sub contractor are Samsung and both are contractors and could really care less.
That being said, their communications is poor if not flat out incompetent between the two of them at the customer's expense.
Samsung CS is telling me that according to the repair sub that my part will be at my home via UPS on Tuesday and I will call the sub for an appointment.

At the same time the sub is telling me that there is no way the part could be ordered without a tech placing the order.

Time will tell I guess. After Tuesday I give the job out as non warranty to a local and then I will take Samsung corporate to court if required to collect the repair costs.
Just too many lies and half truths here.

Old 06-04-13, 06:08 PM
June 3 came and went and this is the day Samsung told me that my part would be here via UPS and of course it did not show.
I started by calling A & E and they had no open repair ticket for me, of course they didn't.
But after telling the CS rep the story he called Samsung himself and got a new ticket number and we will start the process one more time, fresh.
So now I wait until June 10 the service tech to get to the house to start this mess all over again.
All I can say is that when he gets here after jointly talking with Samsung and the CS service rep on the phone at the same time this had better be shown as a warranty repair.

Old 06-04-13, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
They had no open repair tickets in the system for you but one day 3 technicians will show up with with either no parts or the wrong part.

Old 06-04-13, 07:28 PM
Naw, we are starting as if this never happened. The tech will diagnose and should this show as an out of warranty again (it's never shown as a warranty repair yet) I call the two subs involved as I now know they can talk to me and each other at the same time and any changes that Samsung makes on their computers shows in the field right away.
I am gradually learning how to skin a cat and I now have a very sharp knife.
It's just a shame that a customer has to go through all this to get a company to honor their warranty repair in a timely manner.

Old 06-10-13, 08:30 AM
OK the repair sub contractor came and went. This time the fridge was shown in warranty and he could order parts which will be shipped to me.
He agreed that the freezer at -5 to -10 is entirely too cold.
Further, he said that there is another thermistor located in the ice maker and if the temp is too cold that it will not make ice which is another problem that popped up within the last week.
They set the follow up appointment to install the new parts for Friday AM.
I am really looking forward to having this mess over.
Just think, if whatever country Samsung has there customer service based were on the ball the first 3 appointments they set (2 out of warranty and 1 no show) would have had the unit fixed by now.

Old 06-10-13, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Interesting.....I didn't know that if freezer was too cold it won't make ice.

Certainly some good news

Old 06-11-13, 05:49 AM
Yes the tech showed me where another thermistor lived in the bottom side of the ice maker.
He also told me that while he did not look it up it had a temperature range that would stop it from making ice if it was either too cold or too warm.
Perhaps we are making these things a big to complex today???

Old 06-17-13, 12:39 PM
It appears that my problems are finally over.
The part showed last Wed and the tech came out Friday morning to install it.
Today my freezer makes ice much faster and it's running at 14. It was running at minus 5-10 before the repair.
So 3 appointments with two that showed and had a non warranty repair order and one that was a no show. Then of course an appointment to start over, this time shown in warranty, where he ordered parts and then another appointment to have them installed.
Samsung called me within 2 hours to asked if I was happy with the repair and I told them I would not know as the tech told me it would take 24 hours or more for things to settle out in the freezer.
She did not understand what I was telling her I guess (or it did not exist in her script of expected answers) and I told her that I would call if I still have a problem.
Samsung customer service is really bad and if you want my advice do no buy a Samsung product or you too may have problems.

Old 06-21-13, 07:28 AM
In less than one week from the time of repair using a new thermistor and cooling or circulation fan that they had installed my refrigerator has again returned to the point where the highest temperature I can achieve is 0 or less in the freezer.
One thing has changed I had to increase the coldness of the refrigerator as it went up for some reason.
The funny thing is that the freezer was running 12 to 14 for a couple of days and then returned to its old habits.
The subcontractor that doesn't warranty repairs for Samsung will be at my home this morning to attempt another repair.

Old 06-21-13, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
It would take quite a while to make any great quantity of ice at 14 degrees. Usually the freezer is kept from 0 to 5 degrees.

I'm guessing the tech didn't have a control board with him.

Old 06-21-13, 10:34 AM
I have no idea what the Thermistor in the icemaker is set for but I know about 0 and just lower than that the icemaker stops making ice. Seems stupid to me.
I am at that temp now (0) and it's still making ice however. He said the box is still too cold and that's why I called them.
He checked the control board and said that the voltages were correct but the board is not communicating properly and it in turn is causing the compressor to run too often resulting in lower temperatures in the freezer.
So the board is on order and I have another appointment next week when it gets here to install that.
Stay tuned.

Old 06-21-13, 10:51 PM
Group Moderator
The thermistor isn't set for anything. It is a part that changes value based on temperature. Say for example at 100 degrees it measures 100 ohms and at 0 degrees it measures 0 ohms.....if it measured 10....the control board would think that the box must be at 10 degrees and that it should run the compressor to cool more. If the thermistor is defective.....it could tell the box that the box is 10 degrees when it actually is -5 degrees.

The thermistor sends its reading to the control board for interpretation and then the control board makes the decisions.

Old 06-22-13, 06:42 AM
And according to what he said the control board is running the compressor entirely too much for the readings coming from the thermistors.~~all 3 of there are working correctly.
When he measured my freezer temps with his infrared he came up with temps from -4 to -13.

Old 06-23-13, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
If all the sensors checked within proper operating specs.....then that leaves the control board.

Old 06-23-13, 01:24 PM
That is what they tech said so I hope that you and he are both correct.
Frankly I am tired of dealing with this for the last 6 weeks.

Old 06-23-13, 01:57 PM
Group Moderator
This is the problem with service today. There are too many different parts to carry. The government has mandated energy savings and this is it. You'll save energy but you'll spend it on service.

The electronic control systems used in today's modern appliances has just about removed them as a DIY repair project.

Old 06-27-13, 03:23 PM
Well as of today the control board was replaced and I am awaiting the unit to settle out.
I hope once again that this fixes the problem with this unit.

Old 06-28-13, 07:19 AM
It's been over 24 hours now since the control board was replaced yesterday and I have been in and out of the freezer a number of times since then.
Checking the temperature this morning the freezer is at 0 or slightly less depending on where you measure solar problem has not been resolved even though they have replaced the fan and thermistor unit and now the control board.
I also note that I am running refrigerator at next to the highest light control panel to keep it around 40. I am beginning to think that there has to be some other problem or that this is the way this unit was designed yet 3 of the technicians from the subcontractor warranty repairs for Samsung have told me the box should be adjustable to around 15.
So I have another appointment at this box repaired

Old 06-28-13, 08:15 AM
Group Moderator
Normally 40 degrees would be the center of the adjustment area.