Frigidaire yr 2011-not running, light on

Old 05-27-13, 10:29 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire yr 2011-not running, light on

We woke up this morning to our fridge just about to room temperature and our ice cream is soup. The light still works and there are no problems with the outlet or cord. We pulled the unit out and vacuumed the fan and other visible components. We left it unplugged for about 30 minutes and have plugged it back in hoping it was just an overheating problem and it would start to run again. That didn't happen. We haven't had any problems in the past with it and haven't noticed any problems or anything weird until waking up this morning.
Thanks for any help.
It's a Frigidaire year 2011
The Model # is FFTR1814LW4
The Serial # is BA10421273

Old 05-27-13, 12:14 PM
O
And the darn thing just randomly kicked in and is now running and cooling. Should we worry that this will happen again?

Old 05-27-13, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,344 Votes on 1,242 Posts
Your unit uses a defrost timer. The unit may have been in defrost when you plugged it back in.

The defrost timer turns off the compressor and turns on the defrost heater several times a day.

Will the problem happen again.....most likely. I would wait a week and then remove the cover panel over the evaporator coils in the freezer and see if they are iced up. If they are heavily iced then you have a defrost problem. It could be a defrost heater or defrost thermostat problem.

If you have a meter and would like to check out the defrost system let me know and we'll go thru it step by step.

Old 05-27-13, 02:30 PM
O
Thinking back to about a week ago...I opened the freezer and as soon as I did smokey/foggy/warm air immediately came off of the frozen foods. It looked like my gallon of ice cream was smoking. Should this have been an indication that the evaporator coils were iced?

Old 05-28-13, 09:36 AM
Group Moderator
The timer shuts off the compressor and heats the coil to defrost it. That may be the source of your warm air. If your coils are iced and remain that way nothing will get cold. Actually the freezer may get somewhat cold but the fridge doesn't usually.

Old 05-28-13, 07:47 PM
S
Sounds like your PTC relay is going out on the compressor

Old 05-28-13, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
It's possible Steve but on a 2011 model that wouldn't be my first choice.

Actually.... to expound on Steve's diagnosis..... and to further aid in the repair.....
when the unit goes into defrost mode the condensor fan underneath shuts off as well as the fan inside the fridge.

If the compressor overload was at fault..... the condensor fan as well as the inside fridge fan would still be running but no cold.

So keep that in mind if the unit shuts down again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: