Kenmore Fridge Dripping Water

Old 05-30-13, 09:23 AM
O
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Kenmore Fridge Dripping Water

I have a Kenmore Refrigerator that is about 10 years old. Model 501-66815.

I noticed ice forming in the bottom of the freezer and when I look through the grill in the back, on the left side, it appears that water is dripping back there and moving into the freezer area, where it freezes. The refrigerator section is also leaking water from where the cool air comes from in the squareish piece in the top center of the fridge.

It is a few drips per minute but is starting to add up to some real water. I assume it is water.

Any thoughts on what it is and how to stop it. Thanks for you help.

Old 05-30-13, 11:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Water from the top of the fridge could be condensation from warm humid air getting in.....either by a door gasket problem or the door is open an extended period.

Is the water puddling in the lower section of the freezer ?
Does the water come out thru the door gasket on to the floor?

I'm guessing the temperatures are correct in the fridge and freezer and that the ice maker is working ok.

Old 06-02-13, 12:41 PM
O
This fridge does not have an automatic ice maker. It has the freezer on top of the fridge.

When I look in the freezer, behind the grill at the back I can see water pooling back there and it eventually flows out to the freezer and freezes on the bottom of the freezer.

In the fridge the water drips down from the piece that is in the top center of the fridge. I assume the cold air comes out of that but I am not completely sure.

Would anyone know how I might access the drain tube on this fridge or if I even have one? I have tried to get a manual at the sears site but it doesn't seem to recognize my model number. On the inside door of the fridge I read the model number to be 501-66815. Thanks for you help.

Old 06-02-13, 05:03 PM
O
OK, so I found my own manual but it was pretty useless. Nothing about dripping refrigerator and no parts list or diagrams.

I think I need to get in behind this grill in the back of the freezer to clean out the drain hole, but I don't see any screws or anything to tell me how to remove the panel.

I have pulled it free at the sides but the bottom center and that round piece in the box in the top left corner seem to be holding on to it, real good. Behind that box in the top left are wires but that round piece seems to go back into it and hold the panel and doesn't want to let go.

I just don't understand how the panel comes off. Its all plastic and I don't want to crack it. Would anyone know how to remove this back panel in the freezer?

I opened up the panel on the back of the fridge at the bottom and the drip pan was bone dry. There doesn't seem to be any obstruction at the bottom of the drain hose. Any thoughts?

Attached Images  
Old 06-02-13, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.....the drip pan was dry telling us that nothing was reaching it. Not a good thing. The drain line never clogs at the bottom.....always at the top. Usually it gets iced over.

I can't find your model number. The number is too short. Can you double check it. There should be an actual metal plate or product ID plate with model and serial number.

In looking at your freezer pic it looks like there are two catches or releases in the bottom corners. They appear as small squarish holes.

Old 06-02-13, 05:51 PM
O
That is the model number 501-66815. There are no other numbers. I was having a problem finding it at sears as well.

The small squarish holes allowed me to release the panel at the sides, by just pulling, but it still catches in the bottom center and in the top left corner where that round piece (about the size of a quarter) is in that box in the left corner...and I can't take that little panel there off because of that same quarter size snag. There are no screws that I can see.

Old 06-02-13, 08:57 PM
O
OK. So after pulling, whacking, snapping and eventually getting real mad, the panel came out. That square panel in the top left corner had a screw behind that quarter size round piece. Now since that panel had it's own snaps and the entire panel had snaps everywhere, that screw had no value at all. You would had to have pried into that round piece to find it and why would you do that? I ended up ripping it out but as I said, everything snaps back into place. I can't believe they pay people to design this stuff like that.

Anyway, there must have been a huge iceberg in that drain hole at the top. It took 6 hours and boiling water and hair dryers to eventually melt it. I found pointing the hair dryer at the piece in the center back area at the top of the refrigerator made it melt quicker.

By the way, when it was frozen up, when I added boiling water to the drain hole in the freezer, the water I added seemed to go down the hole and disappear but did not flow through to the bottom. It basically dripped out that center back area that has the vents, in the top of the refrigerator area. As I said, pointing the hair dryer at that item seem to melt the ice quicker and now that it is melted, when I add water to the hole in the freezer it all seems to flow to the bottom drip pan. I just thought it was peculiar. I guess that drain hole is not a continuous tube all the way to the bottom but must open into the top of the fridge area as well, or why would the water flow out there.

Does anyone understand these things.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I just turned the fridge back on so hopefully it works now.

Old 06-02-13, 09:25 PM
Group Moderator
It appears that the drain tube may have a hole in it. I don't thinks it's supposed to be open to the fridge. I can't verify as I still can't find your model number. It looks to be too short.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: